Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: GO SHOOT THE GUN!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    I
    More than people adding rails, I see people doing arbitrary(and potentially less reliable) things like putting H2/H3 buffers in their 16" guns before shooting a single shot.
    I agree, I almost got an H2 and enhanced bcg for my LMT when I ordered it. I thought it would make the gun better ect. Grant said it was a waiste of money and may even make the weapon less relieable. Great advice Grant. It shot great and still does 1000's of rounds later.

Feedback Score
    I agree with most, but to a point. I have very little trigger time on my one and only AR, but already I've learned that I hate the stock grip and that a full-sized MIAD is much more comfortable and gives my hand a better "reach" for the trigger. I've also learned, through those few rounds and a lot of dry-firing, that the stock GI trigger sucks. I don't need a match trigger of any kind, but a smooth trigger would go a long way into helping me, as a new shooter, focus more on basic marksmanship than on fighting the rifle. I like my A1 stock, so it stays. The only rail on the rifle is the one on the upper receiver, and the only thing on it is a LaRue BUIS.

Some things, like replacing a grip, picking a more comfortable stock, and tuning the stock trigger are all pretty personal, and are all things that can be done to help the rifle fit the shooter just a little better (I was just having this conversation with my dad, oddly enough). Except for the stock, they're all pretty inexpensive things to do. I liken adjustments like these to adjusting the car seat and mirrors to better fit you instead of your spouse or girlfriend.

Other things might simply be a matter of preventative maintenance. My upper is a RRA 16" middy, and as expected came with so marginal attempt at carrier key staking they might as well have not done it. Would it be excessive to buy a BCM or LMT bolt carrier group if I can't stake these? Little things like this aren't anything more than little things to keep the rifle functioning so you can go shoot it.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score

Cool

That was a good read for us newbies, Rob. Thanks.

Here is what I have done- I am running my new Daniel Defense stock right now. My first purchases have been 20+ mags and 2 K of various ammo to see what works best. Bought a spare BCG from Grant, JIC.

Here are my plans - I am waiting on the Magpul sling to come back out, I bought a TLR-1 light and its on the way. I may replace the grip, if it still continues to bother me.

Then, I want to take a carbine class.

Eventually, some optics or an Aimpoint. But I have exhausted the funds for now.

The gun already has plenty of rails, to say the least. I dont think I bought anything unwise yet and I have tried to just get the "basics". If there is a better sling under $50 I would be grateful for the tip.

I appreciate the knowledge gained around here for sure.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    If there is a better sling under $50 I would be grateful for the tip.
    I'd probably spend an extra ten dollars and get the original VCAS.

But if $50 is a hard limit, there are other good options. VCAS Double A Model OR Victory Series Two-Point Sling

I have no experience with it, but why not look at the $15 Boonie Packer sling that rob_s mentioned above?

I'm sure that there are other quality sling options on the market. I have experience with the Vickers ones, and like them a lot...as do many here.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 03-29-09 at 11:51.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Excellent post Rob! I have been saying this for many years but it really hit home when I read and understood the signature of Dave McCracken on THR - BA/UU/R....

BA = Buy Ammo
    UU = Use Up
    R = Repeat

Dave, who is a moderator on THR in the shotgun forum, got tired of seeing all the pictures of people posting their "tacticool shotguns that had never been shot. So every time someone posted a picture of their shotgun he would compliment the gun and post BA/UU/R....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave McCracken
    BA/UU/R is a handy way to say that expertise comes with practice, not with buying Cool Stuff.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    BAC, I think that the trigger thing is actually something that comes with use. I hear people say that the AR stock trigger is horrible, but I find it to be very good. I think it depends in part on your frame of reference. I came to the AR from defensive handgun shooting, and specifically Glocks and DA revolvers. For me, picking up my first AR, I considered the trigger to be a dream. I think that on the opposite end of the spectrum many guys that come from the hunting or bolt-action realm find the AR trigger to be atrocious. Either way, I still believe that learning to work with the stock trigger is part of GO SHOOT THE GUN. No matter the frame of reference I think that the stock trigger is a training issue as much as anything else, and I have yet to see a new shooter that has really benefited from changing out the trigger.

Feedback Score
    Fair enough. I'm entering the rifle shooting world from defensive shooting with a 1911 and (rarely) a Glock 17. The grit in the stock trigger aggravated me to no end, hence its trip to Colorado Springs and Bill Springfield. When I can find a lower parts kit in stock, I'll build up my spare lower receiver and shoot the two side-by-side to see if there is a difference in performance between the tuned trigger and the stock one.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    Many of us have experience behind the trigger of some sort of AR. While recommending a first timer to the range is for sure great advise. I think taking a rifle out of the box and personalizing it before range time isn't the worst thing neither when you are already familiar with the platform.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    USMC - 100% and I think everyone would agree with that. Your gun, your experience, your use, your money.

RobS - 100%

On another note for those that are new - most of the folks that own several ARs have a bone stock irons only in inventory - b/c they flat work.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    I'd probably spend an extra ten dollars and get the original VCAS.

But if $50 is a hard limit, there are other good options. VCAS Double A Model OR Victory Series Two-Point Sling

I have no experience with it, but why not look at the $15 Boonie Packer sling that rob_s mentioned above?

I'm sure that there are other quality sling options on the market. I have experience with the Vickers ones, and like them a lot...as do many here.
    Thanks for the input, I was looking at that VCAS one too. They also have it on Magpuls site and include 2 quick detact swivels which seem like they would fit the Daniel Defense carbines stock swivel points. I may just have to go with that set up.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast