Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: GO SHOOT THE GUN!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There is this gun forum culture of "senior" members posting very good pictures and then people try to copy their setup. I mean think of some members, such as Stickman. He has built his entire reputation around his very excellent pictures.
    He is a virtual billboard for companies to advertise their kit with.
    The surefire way to sell a new product is to get it in the hands of one of the "respected picture takers", and it will sell.
    I'm sure we can point out others as well.

Not a bad thing perhaps, but I think this has alot to do with what you are talking about.
    Aimpoint M4S- Because your next Aimpoint battery hasn't been made yet.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    certainly true to a certain point, especially for true beginners....but I am a firm believer in

1) I like what I like

and

2) I like consistency

I currently own 4 ARs, and the only one that isn't set up like the other 3 is the one I am getting ready to SBR....in that instance, when I bought the newer ones, I just went ahead and paid the money to get them set up like I like them....I recently changed to Rails that go forward of the FSP, but after putting one on one carbine I went and shot it before I swapped the others...

Its like Glocks for me I guess...I own several, its really all I carry and shoot...they are all set up the exact same way (3.5 lb ghost, G17 trigger, Warren Tac sights, extended slide stop, Vickers mag release)...so last week when I bought a G26, before I ever chambered a round, I swapped all that stuff in...

I think the best advice is make sure you find out what YOU like, don't necessarily rely on what OTHER people like...

the caveat, of course, to that is to be open minded enough to realize someone may have "better" ideas and be willing to accept you don't have all the answers and be able to change
    VA Arms Co alumnus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good Writeup Rob_S. KISS-- Keep It Simple Stupid is something that more people should consider when building/operating ARs
    Last edited by flyboy1788; 03-29-09 at 18:09.

Feedback Score
    Excellent post to ponder!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't want this to get misconstrued as the barf version of KISS with A1 uppers and other nonsense. Rails serve a purpose, RDS are better than irons, lights are a requirement on a defensive gun, etc. I just think that some people need to think before they buy. I also thought I'd post my experiences in the hopes that maybe it'll save someone else a little cash. This is not about forgoing good gear just to have some romanticized notion of "KISS", but about knowing what you're doing and why you're doing it so that you can asses if what you've done is successful or not.

To me, the rifles that I posted pictures of are about as "KISS" as I'm going to get.

Feedback Score
    i'm saving up for DD Lite FSMP rails for a N4 Recce Basic, but i still shoot it as it with plastic handguards all the time.

i just went out shooting with it yesterday. yeah i'll have the rails soon and will have to rezero after i install them, but i don't consider the shooting i just did a waste of ammo. i had fun, so it was money well spent.

since the thread is all about posting pics, i'll perpetuate the problem i guess

Last edited by Parabellum9x19mm; 03-29-09 at 19:03.
    TUEBOR

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

I figured out a way to mount a white light on a small section of rail on the handguards, the key to which is that I can take that light off there when I don't need it or don't want the added weight.

Rob:

Would you mind sharing how you mount the light on the standard handguard. I know it involves one of those short picatinny rail piece. Did you just drill the handguard and bolt it on? or does it require some kind of shims to compensate for the tapered handguard.

If it's a trade secret and you don't want to tell, that's fine too.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yep just drilled holes and mounted the Streamlight plastic rail. You have to be careful if mounting a slide-on light so that you don't get interference from the FSB.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Thanks Rob.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Thanks Rob.
    IIRC, Brownells sells a section of rail that has cut-outs in it for the ribs on normal handguards.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast