Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rucksacks

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Rucksacks

What's everyone toting for a ruck?

I should point out that I have very little experience with "Civilian" rucks, whatsoever. I'd probably be likely to consider one if they came in colours other than "Brass Me! Red" or "Antiflage Queegy Blue". The colour schemes suck, the material is wafer-thin and begging to be ripped by any type of hard-use (10D Nylon anyone?), lack of external pockets, I could go on and on.

I'm probably going to upgrade from my frameless pack, to something a bit bigger, since without a frame, the weight tends to shift downward and rearward, regardless of how it's packed. It'll make a good day-hike bag, but for my extended backpacking and bugout needs, it ain't gonna cut the mustard.

I'm runnin' outta space - quick.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 03-29-09 at 20:20.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I've always been very partial to Kelty packs. I have an external frame that while obsolete is still in excellent shape despite nearly three decades of pretty significant use (boy scouts, hunting, extended camping, backpacked through Europe etc.). Aluminum frame, mesh backing, one large main compartment, two smaller pockets, maybe 3000CU.

I've recently upgraded to the "Trekker" but I've not used it anywhere near as hard nor as long but it's really nice and has place for hydration.

Kifaru seems to have a lot of admirers, but I think there are better ways to spend $500-700.

Avoid the ALICE pack as something akin to an Iron Maiden Torture device though there are upgrades available.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    +1 on Kelty. The North Face makes good stuff too. I have a few of their packs and bags. They're very rugged and come with a good warranty.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    -1 to the ALICE. I didn't enjoy it one bit.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    any of the older Dana Designs packs will have amazing durability and a strong frame for loads, Dana is now making packs again under the Mystery Ranch name and they are $$.

Granite Gear & Mountain Smith are two other brands to check out.

my "under 20lbs" rucksack is an Eagle RAID with the framesheet and having seen the $100 models that Lightfighter is making now the older Eagle's have a better zipper and more stitching in critical areas. plus with all the MOLLE webbing i can add gear as needed. once my load moves up, however, i opt for my Dana Bridger or Terraplane for all day carrying comfort.
    ===========================================================
    Alcohol, Tobacco And Firearms Should Be A Convenience Store, NOT A Gov't Agency.

Feedback Score
    I have a Mystery Ranch 3-day assault pack from my AD days I use for weekend trips and use Kelty MAP 3500s for vehicle bags (BoB). I also have a couple of big Dana Design (pre-Mystery Ranch) and Arcteryx packs I can choose from for extended trips.
    Last edited by Bighead; 03-30-09 at 17:34.
    Dulce bellum inexpertis

Feedback Score
    Lightfighter RAID pack by ATS. An excellent value, very well constructed 3 day pack with lots of room. With additional side pouches, it can easily be a 4-5 day pack. Still $99.00.
    http://www.atstacticalgear.com/cgi/c...on&key=ST-1063
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have an older Dana for my 'big pack', from back when they were made in Montana. For the BOB I have a Mountainsmith Approach II, in rust/gray that works well.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    You can make an ALICE comfortable easily.

Feedback Score
    I am more than happy with my Camelbak Motherload in coyote.

It's well made to the point of being overbuilt, can haul enough gear to make a nice bugout bag and still be comfortable.

Hunt around on fleabay and they can be had for reasonable.

Semper Fi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast