Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rucksacks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    You can make an ALICE comfortable easily.
    Agreed. I still have mine (Large)....heavily modded for comfort. I've had it loaded up to 100lbs, but you wouldn't want to carry the GD thing with that much weight. You can buy them cheap online. Get the SF shoulder straps (which are better padded) and you should be GTG. Or send it to tactical tailor and get it modded with fastex buckles and extra pouches.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Decided on a "gap-filler".

I was originally considering the ALICE with comfort upgrades, then leaning towards the TT MALICE pack, then looking at some of the Kifaru stuff.

I pushed the "buy" button on a CFP-90. I think this'll fit the bill.

I went over every pack at REI, and saw absolutely nothing that would've worked for me. A local shop had some CFP-90s in black, but I wanted a different flavour, so-to-speak, so I SO'd a Woodland version.

My current pack is f'in exploding with gear, and the weight is beginning to pull the frameless pack in some bad ways, making the load difficult to bear. I'd considered ditching some stuff, but I feel like everything I've currently got is "bare essentials", and I still have other needed kit that hasn't been procured yet.

Feedback Score
    I have and use a CFP-90 with add a pack. It has served me for many years. It is very well built and heavy because of it. If I had to live out of my pack for several years this is the pack I would take.

But it is not the pack I want, when I need to make distance and blen in with others. I am still looking for a MUCH lighter weight, dark tan, internal frame pack that will work with a vest on.
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Kifaru makes the best hard use packs on the planet. They are heavy, but worth every penny.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    i use an REI Lookout pack for my BOB (which i also use for general backpacking).

it is far and away the best pack i have ever owned for me. i can hump that thing all day long through rough terrain and forget it is even there. i don't know if others would have the same experience with it or not, though. it might be that it just fits my body very well.

unforunately, though, REI changed the design of the Lookout pack a couple of years ago much for the worse, imho. but, if you can find one that is 3+ years old, i think they are great packs.

i also have/had other good packs made by kelty, osprey, and the north face.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    You can make an ALICE comfortable easily.
    +1

To me, the Alice is the GLOCK of rucksacks. I use a TT MALICE and plan to upgrade to a Mystery Ranch frame.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    I went by the TMS booth a half dozen times at SHOT to get a CRATOS Panel, but never caught them at the booth (or I got ambushed by Troy, who was like two booths over).

I would say that the CRATOS is a must have item for the ALICE owner.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by citizensoldier16 View Post
    +1 on Kelty. The North Face makes good stuff too. I have a few of their packs and bags. They're very rugged and come with a good warranty.
    The NF is now owned by a cosmetics company. Their warranty is not worth the paper it is writtten on. I have blown out two different models of NF packs. Ask me if there will be a third?

Mystery Ranch is top quality mountaineering grade packs. Kifaru is also excellent, but a little on the heavy side. Great for tactical ops, not as good for climbing and hiking, there are lighter things on the market. They also have great customer support, unlike TNF.

If you want light weight, guaranteed for life, bombproof external frame packs take a look at Frontier gear. You get what you pay for.
    Cold Zero

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a ten year old Camelbak TransAlp in dark green and grey that has served well for a decade. Great "field" colors that looks "normal" and non descript in a civilian environment.

Feedback Score
    Mystery Ranch Cerberus pack .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast