Thread: School me on Cast Bullets.

Feedback Score

School me on Cast Bullets.

Ive searched here and didnt see a whole lot on CAST BULLETS, Im curious of the pros and cons of reloading using cast bullets for 9mm and 40.

Are Cast hard on your gun barrel?

WHat do you do different when reloading using Cast?

My local Gun shop has a ton of cast so I was just wondering.

Also whats your opinion on Accur #7 powder for loading 9 and 40. Im using HS-6 but wondering what else is typically used with good results. I could find out myself but lately its so hard to get different powders to try.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Best thing you can do is consult your manual.

You want HARDcast bullets. There will be less leading. Note - people will freak out on you if you shoot lead in polyrifled barrels. I have shot a lot of lead through poly barrels. Yes, they led faster. However, if you dry brush 5 or 10 strokes with a copper pot scrubber wrapped around an old bore bush every 300 or so rounds you will have no issues.

Lead is dirty and smokey. Plated will dramatically cut down on this.

Reload data - lighter that jacketed.

Good luck
    Last edited by Mo_Zam_Beek; 03-30-09 at 12:58.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you are going to shoot cast bullets, I would not shoot commercial cast but cast my own (or get them from a friend who casts) since most commercial cast bullets are crap.

Most commercial cast bullets use paraffin or something similar for "lube" which basically does you no good. They do this for cost reasons. You want a good high quality lube (like LBT Blue or similar). You will then have a lot less issue with your cast bullets. Unfortunately most cast bullet companies use crappy lube. With a good lube (and a gas check) you can shot cast bullets out of rifles at high power.

I have shot a ton of cast out of 9mm and 40 back in the 90s but since I don't cast myself and am at the mercies of my brother, who does cast, but not often anymore and lives 12 hours away, I don't use much cast anymore except in my 44 and 480 revolvers.

Use load data made for cast bullets and not the jacketed bullet data of the same "weight".

People say not to shoot cast bullets in Glock factory barrels. I don't know if this is a poly-rifling thing or has to do with the whole reloaded bullet unsupported chamber bit or what. But if you are shooting a glock you may want to research that some more.

I found buying jacketed bullets in bulk (case of 3000-4000 at a time) made jackedt bullet more economical

Chad
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    I've used Meister hardcast bullets for years, and I've put 1,000s and 1,000s of them through my Glocks and my SIG.

I picked Meister because that's what Dillon used to sell. Now I'm about to order more because they're cheap.

I load very light: about 4.5 grains of Unique for a 155gr. 40 S&W, and 3.0 grains of Unique for a 90gr. .380ACP. These are just practice rounds, so I want them to have just enough oomph to cycle the action.

I've never had any problems. I routinely let my Glocks go 500+ rounds between cleanings.

As a bonus, SWC .40 bullets leave very nice neat holes in paper!

Bimmer