Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Magazine Well Hold

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Rhino,
    I'll have to agree to disagree with you I find the further out the support hand the more control of the rifle you will have. The recoil control, target transition and balance will be better with the support hand further out regardless of the rifle used as long as you have the same shooter. A magwell hold or way back on the FF tube or rail will be good and faster for more than 2 rounds per target up to distances of about 10yds. At these distances in 3gun I use my homeboy 45degree JP irons. I have them sighted in for POA/POI at 10yds.

At the Area 7 3gun Championship match.
    Phil placed 1st in Tactical, Todd was 6th and I was 14th.
    In just rifle Phil was 2nd, Todd was 6th and I was 8th.

Of the 3 rifle stages Phil and Todd both beat me in two of them each. In one (the big field stage) Phil finished the stage almost 11 seconds faster than I did, I had a faster time than Todd (1.57sec faster) but he beat me in accuracy and placed 1 slot higher than me. I should have done a reload in a different spot which would have required a lot less movement and thus a faster time. 2006 was my first year of 3gun and my 2nd year of IPSC so I was and I am learning stage strategy.

I beat Phil in one stage of the rifle I shot it both faster (almost 7sec faster) and more accurately.

On the bonus only stage 'Sniper Practice' Phil hit one more target than I did. And I beat Todd on this stage.

The whole trip up to Harvard MA I think Phil was worried I take him in rifle. He really smoked my ass with both shotgun and pistol.

At this match my 3gun rifle was a very heavy 20" AR. I've since then lightened it up and I'm finding it much faster between targets.
    I've learned that a much lighter and shorter rifle is much faster and just as accurate for 3gun. Which is why I rebuilt my 3gun rifle smaller. I've also got a Larue SPR-E mount to get my scope further forward so I can use a much more consistant nose to charging handle hold which is also better for me.

Before.

Now.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree with rhino..

The competitors tend toward a rifle grip

Running the carbine you will usually benefit from a more controllable position

The "reasons" originally given set off my alarms by the inclusion of those urban legends regarding monopod and mag holds causing malfunctions.

Feel free to do what works for you but not for those reasons

I experimented a LOT with VFG placement and (for me) found that further back gave better control on the AR

On my AK's I use the magazine all day/all the time

New shooters always adopt the "chicken-wing" and forward grip stance of the rifleman

I ususally cut their groups in half by switching them to the tucked elbows/pulling back approach...it is simple leverage and their ability to squeeze the forend becomes moot

Once again...do what works for you

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123