Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grip Options for SA Professional

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Grip Options for SA Professional

I'm looking to replace the grips on a SA Professional with some that are not as aggressively checkered. Of course, they need to be cut for the S&A mag well.

I don't mind rubber panels, as long as they are cut for the mag well.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Feedback Score
    I prefer the original Gunner Grips on all my 1911's, eleven of them.

http://www.simonichknives.com/gunner.htm

ON my CCW Colt I smooth out the roughness on the left hand panel a bit so as to not abrade my soft baby fat. Leave the right side panel nice and rough for the grip I like. All the others I leave both panels rough. Very easy to take down with the proper sand paper. Takes about 5 minutes to get it to the smoothness of choice.

I use the 'square' bottoms on all my 1911's with magwells, and tapered base on those without. Most of my guns have the magwells, and about 4 of them are the Smith & Alexander type.

My Carry CCW is a Colt Gunsite Pistol, with the tapered Gunners mentioned above, and of course no magwell.

Good luck

Fred
    Semper Fi * * * Stupid Should Hurt

“To lead untrained men in to war, is to waste them.” - Confucious

“We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality” - Ayn Rand

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Gunners are a good choice, get them from Simonich to get the originals.

The other 1911 grips that I really like are the VZ Grips (www.vzgrips.com). They have several styles and I have found them to be exceptionally durable and functional.
    Last edited by Joe R.; 03-31-09 at 10:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If the stock coco bolos are too aggressive for the OP then VZs or Gunners will be WAY WAY too much. I personally like aggressive grips on my 1911, but to each their own.

OP: I would check out Brownells for something you like, anything with flat bottoms will fit your mag-well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, the stock grip panels are more aggressive than I'd like. For a short practice session, they're okay, but when shooting a lot without gloves, they aren't fun, anymore.

Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Another vote for VZ grips. They are not as aggressive as the pro's or the gunners yet plenty aggressive for shooting.

Edited to add> I use the Gator backs for ccw and a pair of Operators for my zombie gun. The gator backs offer enough grip without leaving my hands grated. The operators on the other hand..I wear gloves with those.
    Last edited by Pesty0311; 03-31-09 at 18:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like Hogue Double-Diamond Checkered Rosewood (the non-laminate kind).

All of my 1911's wear them. I've tried VZ and Gunners and prefer the Hogues.

Feedback Score

ALuma Grips

Alumagrips are pretty smooth, with just a little checkering. Nice looking too!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by merge View Post
    Alumagrips are pretty smooth, with just a little checkering. Nice looking too!
    These may be a good option for the OP.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not a fan of Alumagrips, myself. Actually, some regular checkered, double-diamond type Cocobolo grips or some such, would be fine. Most of the ones I've used are not as aggressive as what came on the Professional.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast