Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help developing a fitness program ( dietary and exercise )

Feedback Score
    I'll admit I'm learning quite a bit about all this.

Maybe this would shed a little light into this topic.

http://www.marsoc.usmc.mil/1stmsob.html

I need to be prepared for that. I can change the end goals to be more realistic or tailored for that, but that link is ultimately why I need to prepare.

Anyone with experience in the line, Recon BNs or DRPs and such would know what the standards are for BRC and after. I don't mean passing standards - I mean exceeding the standard, showing up ready so I don't have to waste too much time getting into shape there. I need to use this time efficiently.

You've all said the same thing - for those standards I'd have to make grave sacrifices elsewhere. I can't do that. Being well rounded is just as important to me.

Shin splints occured after many miles of hiking/running in ill-fitted Danner boots. Since then ( maybe six months ago ) I haven't gotten any since. The sneakers I have are still the same as the old boot camp go-fasters, and by God those things are WAAAAY beyond their prime.

I am glad y'all are here to help refine all this trash. Its a whole lot to absorb.

S/F

Feedback Score
    Don't get too discouraged! I'm no longer a PT stud, but at 42 years old, 6'2" tall and 240lbs, I am a 1/2 marathon runner that lifts weights. I also train in martial arts and Army combatives. I am not a pure racer, my long distance mile times are not at a competetive level, but I have the mental toughness to finish the races I enter. The distance race is about 30% physical and 70% mental.

My next big event will be the Bataan Memorial Death March at White Sands NM where I will enter in the Military Heavy class next year. Check out that site and you will see that there are plenty of marathon runners that have the body type you are looking for. Here is a picture of some of the competetors. Over 800 runners ran the 26.2 miles in the heavy category with a pack weighing at least 35 lbs.

Light competetors - no pack, just hydration

Heavy competetors - with 35+ lb ruck

Light team competetors

Bottom line though, WS6 is right about your injuries. Learn to really listen to your body and learn what your limits are. It is often hard to pull back when you are close to re-injuring yourself, this is where discipline comes in. You also need to set goals that your body type can accomodate. Here is the link to the Bataan Memorial Death March event.

http://www.bataanmarch.com/r09/story.htm

Good luck in your training!
    Last edited by lallhands; 04-05-09 at 08:17.
    297th AMSC
    "URI, VINCIRI, VERBERARI, FERROQUE NECARI"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12