Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exercise questions?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm 100% certain that the finest training of abs and core is done by jumping up on the pull up bars and doing "knees to elbows" until you can graduate to full "pikes". Then when you can execute 6-10 full pikes in a set start to graduate to the "windshield washer" where you basically hold a pike up, then rotate 60-90 degrees alternately to the left and to the right.

The pikes I figured out on my own. The knees to elbows and windshield washers I later found on the Crossfit pages and worked in.

I'm 51+ years old. Been training pretty much non-stop since a teen. Studying it as a hobby and passion. And I've not come across anything for ab/core that tops these although intense heavy bag workout are right up there also. And FWIW I don't have any experience with kettle bells although the Russian swings with dumbells are butt kickers and work the core and posterior chain very heavily too.

These are so strenuous that these muscles actually grow. The Windshield Washer really hits the obliques for rotational strength and core stability. And those muscles thicken also. At the same body weight my waist has grown an inch or inch and a half since getting on these hard.

I kid you not. These are the daddy! But one needs a pretty decent base of bodyweight strength to get far with them (ie pullups, chinups). But knees to elbows is manageable to start at.

Check out the vids of these on Crossfit.

Please expound more on this. Maybe a link or something? I dont think knees/elbo's would challenge me much, I want to know what this pike/windshield washer is so I can do it.

Feedback Score

knees to elbows, pikes and windshield washers

At this link, look at the first "paragraph" of video demonstrations. Watch the vid for Knees to Elbows. It will progress through what I called pikes and then the windshield washer.

I seek functional strength but I don't mind a bit being this old and running a 4--6pack either. I do eat pretty clean (combo of warrior diet and paleo-diet). I'm sold on these exercises as the primary foundation for training these muscles. BTW, upper back/lats get a lot of work off of these two.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Exer

PS - Wood choppers are awesome. +1
    Last edited by JHC; 06-19-09 at 18:59.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    If you want to just get them strong buy an ab wheel. 3-5 set of as many as you can three times a week will keep them strong and hard. But if you want them to bug out diet and cardio is the only way.

Feedback Score
    Kettlebell swings and other kettlebell exercises will work both the lower back and work the stomach area......along with your cardio, endurance, and strength.

Feedback Score
    Would suggest purchasing Russ Enamait's book 'Never Gymless'. Many exercises for the core & general fitness. It will take you as far as you are willing or able to go.

Feedback Score
    One-legged knees to elbows are a worthy variation I learned at CrossFit DC. Let one leg hang while touching the other to the elbow. Alternate as needed.

A timed circuit of kettlebell swings and KTEs is also "fun." You use your abs heavily during the swings to stabilize your back and to put on the brakes at the top of the swing, then switch to the powerful contraction of the KTE. A real crowd pleaser...

Feedback Score
    Oh hell yeah!!! John!

You have a twisted idea of "fun". LOL

Will combine those two this week for a try.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    or if u want to go in time with a video...the p90x vids (ab ripper, core synergistics) work pretty well.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Push ups on a yoga ball. Do a 100 a day 4 days a week and 50 on your off days is all you should need. If you want a little more of a challenge do them on one foot and alternate feet every 10 reps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12