Thread: Can't get these stupid bullets to group

Feedback Score

Can't get these stupid bullets to group

I purchased a 1000 FMT-BT, 55gr bullets and have not had any luck in getting them to group. I can definately say it is not the rifle. I have shot factory rounds and some soft point bullets I made and obtained 1/2" groups at 40 yds. I had my best friend shoot some of the ones I made out of his rifle and they typically group 4 to 6inches which is the same as mine was shooting. I Use Ramshot Tac powder and tried 3 different loads, low to max high and the result is the same. The brass is new Winchester with CCI sm rifle primers. Anybody got a idea why they don't group? I did order some Speer brand from Midway and hope they will shoot.
    I forgot to mention that I don't know the mfg of the ones that will not shoot. The package was not marked. I bought them from Top Brass.

06muscl

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sounds to me it's time to move on amigo.

Sometimes a certain bbl just doesn't like certain pills. I have a Hart bbl .280 AI that I thought shot everthing well. I heard the the Swift Scirroco's were the nuts in the new bonded bullet deal and a very consistant 1/4 - 1/2 gun would not shoot these regardless of powder or seating depth. I swapped what little was left over with a buddy.

You may have to throw in the towel & move on if you have exhausted your options.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    Try another type of factory loaded 55gr and go from there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 06muscl View Post
    I purchased a 1000 FMT-BT, 55gr bullets and have not had any luck in getting them to group. I can definately say it is not the rifle. I have shot factory rounds and some soft point bullets I made and obtained 1/2" groups at 40 yds. I had my best friend shoot some of the ones I made out of his rifle and they typically group 4 to 6inches which is the same as mine was shooting. I Use Ramshot Tac powder and tried 3 different loads, low to max high and the result is the same. The brass is new Winchester with CCI sm rifle primers. Anybody got a idea why they don't group? I did order some Speer brand from Midway and hope they will shoot.
    I forgot to mention that I don't know the mfg of the ones that will not shoot. The package was not marked. I bought them from Top Brass.

06muscl
    Then this belongs in the ammo/reloading section.

Seriously though, what twist is the barrel? What OAL are your loaded rounds? What sights are you using on your rifle? There are a ton of variables here and your post is rather vague.

Feedback Score

Questions?

Are these bullets cannulered? Was the brass trimmed before the first firing?
    These would be the first questions I would have to ask.
    If your answer is yes to cannulered and no to trimming...I would suspect inconsistent bullet pull.

Another assumption is that these were bought in bulk? I used to occasionally buy bulk bullets....Aka factory seconds from Sierra Bullets company. Jackets failing to bond to the core, wrinkled jackets and even some with no core at all were found occasionally.
    Grab a handful of bullets at random and weigh each one individually and see if you have a variance of more than 10% or so in weight. If so then you have probably found your culprit.
    Last edited by rat31465; 04-06-09 at 19:00. Reason: added information
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for everybodies answer - I suspect that they are sold as seconds.
    The seller did not know anything about them.
    The barrrel has a 1 in 9 twist.

rat31465-the bullets are cannulered and I will weigh some to see if there is a diff. between them.

Thanks again,

06muscl

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a thousand of the same projectiles bought in a package deal from Top Brass. They even look cheesy, look at the bases. And mine don't shoot well either. I'm shooting them with TAC and LC brass. I get four inch groups at 100 off a bench rest.

A better bet is the Hornady 55 grain FMJ available from Widener, Midway, etc. Those seem to be good as bulk bullets go. I'm shooting them now, I'll shoot up the Topbrass stuff someday just to get rid of it.

But no bulk military type bullet will shoot nearly as accurately as 52 grain match or similar. But then, the match bullets cost much more.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 05-06-09 at 01:27.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Sounds like you shouldn't waste anymore effort trying to get these to work.

I'd just burn them up on medium range gongs or CQB practice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Sounds like you shouldn't waste anymore effort trying to get these to work.

I'd just burn them up on medium range gongs or CQB practice.
    Agreed. Take several different types of ammo and bullet weights to see what your AR likes. Also,(I don't know your marksmanship skill level is, whether an occasional plinker or a serious rifle practitioner but), take your time shooting with a bench rest, using all fundamental shooting skills (trigger control, natural point of aim, b.r.a.s.s, and a stable shooting position with a good sling will up the accuracy tremendously). You should be getting good groups in no time.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 05-06-09 at 10:23.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling