Thread: SASS clone

Feedback Score

SASS clone

So I want to build a clone of the M110 SASS. This will be my first step out of the .223 realm and my second AR type rifle. Any suggestions on components? I'm looking to spend no more than $1500 for the gun it's self. Optics I'll worry about later. For the barrel I want a matte finish, so crome or stainless barrels are out.
    Last edited by ghost762; 04-06-09 at 20:45.

Rock River Arms Tactical CAR A4, S&W Bodyguard .380, S&W Model 410 .40 cal, S&W M&P22
    S&W M&P 40, Custom .22LR AR, Mossberg 500

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    What type of barrel are you thinking? You can get a nice stainless or chromemoly barrel like a Mike Rock for a decent price and if its chromeoly it'll still be black. As for $1500.00 it depends on what your happy with as far as accuracy/fit/finish/reliability. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. I'm not saying it's not possible for $1500.00 but especially right now everything is so pricey and it's doing nothing but going up. You might be able to keep $1500.00in the upper.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost762 View Post
    So I want to build a clone of the M110 SASS. This will be my first step out of the .223 realm and my second AR type rifle. Any suggestions on components? I'm looking to spend no more than $1500 for the gun it's self. Optics I'll worry about later. For the barrel I want a matte finish, so crome or stainless barrels are out.
    I think you should wait until you can spend another $1,000 or so (on just the rifle) if you want a gun that shoots.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K9222 View Post
    What type of barrel are you thinking? You can get a nice stainless or chromemoly barrel like a Mike Rock for a decent price and if its chromeoly it'll still be black. As for $1500.00 it depends on what your happy with as far as accuracy/fit/finish/reliability. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. I'm not saying it's not possible for $1500.00 but especially right now everything is so pricey and it's doing nothing but going up. You might be able to keep $1500.00in the upper.

$1500 is more of a goal. I just don't want to spend the $2600 for a SR-25 or the one that DPMS makes. I have a little room to play with. Maybe a few hurdred bucks. I 'm kind of looking for middle of the road to lower highend parts. My first AR was already built for me I have just added stuff to it. I think this time I just want a good upper and lower combo that will get me almost as good as the M110.

Rock River Arms Tactical CAR A4, S&W Bodyguard .380, S&W Model 410 .40 cal, S&W M&P22

Feedback Score
    So what are you looking for, realistically? do you want a SASS clone, or to spend $1500?? My SASS cost SIGNIFICANTLY more than that.

$1500 will get you a pretty standard DPMS these days. Nothing fancy.

Do you know what type of handgaurd you want? If you want to build a M110 SASS clone, the KAC RAS/UBX system is not cheap. For a little less $$ you can get the Daniel Defense quad rail and it looks good as well.

You are going to need a match grade trigger. this can be from a KAC trigger, RRA NM, or a Geiselle. these run 3-400$. I like the KAC, think the RRA is too stiff, and absolutely love the Geiselle (I have all three triggers).

And barrel, stock, etc etc etc.

Look around, see what is out there option wise, and start thinking about what you want. A $1500 SASS (new) will be difficult to pull off.

Feedback Score
    Rock River Arms makes a rifle called the LAR-8. The LAR-8 lowers and rifles use the cheaper FN/FAL rifle magazines. That might be one item you may want to think about incorporating into your SASS clone. That way you can use a good .308 rifle with decent magazines that don't cost $40 each.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Rock River Arms makes a rifle called the LAR-8. The LAR-8 lowers and rifles use the cheaper FN/FAL rifle magazines. That might be one item you may want to think about incorporating into your SASS clone. That way you can use a good .308 rifle with decent magazines that don't cost $40 each.

Kind of a good idea. After looking on the net today I'm now kind of torn between an AR type rifle and a M-14 based setup like the M25 or M21. With the current political situation in the country I may just suck it up and pay full price for one these guns before I can't buy them again.
    Last edited by ghost762; 04-10-09 at 03:37.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    That sounds like a good idea. Don't get me wrong a m25/m1a/m14 is a good gun but they are pretty heavy to be lugging around and 22'' barrel is pretty long. I guess I look at it from a LEO point of view. (being able to carry rifle at work) Either gun is a great gun but there are alot of Springfields out there so if it were me I would do a SASS. Check out GA Precision, George builds lasers and offers the Armalite or DPMS upper & lowers for his builds for around $2250.00 I believe. Trust me you won't be disappointed, check his rep anywhere on the net. Price is kinda in the middle its not $2600 but its not $1500 either.