Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern hollow point technology and .45s

Feedback Score
    Uh oh... here it comes...

OK, let's 'assume' the area of the hole is 40-60% larger for the .45 ACP as compared to the wimpy 9mm... the 'area' of the entry hole tells us very little. Even if we further 'assume' that both rounds penetrate to an equal depth, and the 'volume' of the hole is 40-60% larger for the .45 ACP as compared to the puny 9mm... that does not mean it will stop the attacker 40-60% faster with equal shot placement...

The difference in a real-life shooting may be smaller than most people realize...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been told by several credible sorces that if one is looking at a service caliber (meaning .38special to .45acp) bullet hole in a person, be they live or dead, and the bullet is not recovered, the doc or coroner will not be able to tell which caliber made the hole as they all look the same.

Close enough for me to quit worrying about such trivia.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Touching on the statement Doc GKR posted,

The G17 is a fine platform--probably the best Glock made and it certainly would work well with your current G26 and G19. FWIW, I personally would NOT willingly carry any of the Glocks other than 9 mm's on duty.

Not to Hi-Jack or Derail the current topic but I have to ask what specific factors disqualify the .40 & .45acp Glock pistol (I take it we are talking about the Model 22 & 21) from being a recommended choice. Now I have heard about the problems of a poorly maintained .40 & .45acp Glock pistols were the recoil springs wore out (More then 1500 to 2000 rounds fired without replacement) or with the Model-22 the magazines followers and springs were of a older type (One less spring coil and lower feed profile) which caused feed issues with certain H/P's and over run when the cycle speed increased as the recoil spring failed. My question is if reoccurring maintenance is done replacing the recoil spring on a regular round count and your magazines are up-dated to the latest spring and follower release which one proofed with the carry load of choice would the Model-21 &22 be acceptable for full time uniform patrol? My department only issues a Glock Model-17 pistol with the very recent allowance of self purchased Model-21 & 22's. Many officers in mass have run out and purchased the Glock Model-21 S/F for duty use so now I'm wondering if a general warning should be circulated of specific problems which could arise with there use. From past experience my departments armorers are not the most trained or up-dated with the current issues with the newest authorized pistols so any information or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 04-11-09 at 11:55.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'd be interested in hearing a response to Phil's post as well. I've read a lot of threads about Glock 21 reliability concerns, but most seemed to be around olders versions of the gun.

I'm curious if the latest 21SF hasn't addressed whatever shortcomings this gun had in the past.

Feedback Score
    Glocks were originally designed and chambered in 9mm, in fact, the first 3 models were 9mm (Glock 17, 18 and 19)...
    Glock's reputation as a durable and reliable design came primarily from the Glock 17, specifically. This model of Glock has been the primary Glock that has endured the most abuse and testing to date by a very large margin. Other calibers of Glock have had various issues, and overall these issues have not affected the 9mm Glocks, especially the Glock 17. In short, the 9mm Glocks are the most durable and reliable Glocks made... with the Glock 17 being the benchmark. This is not to say other calibers or models of Glocks are junk... but they are not as durable and reliable overall. This is just plain FACT!!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I understand there are problems with other models/calibers of Glocks and the G-17 is the benchmark in which the other models are judged. Thats why I would like to learn from those in the know what major problems have manifested with the Model-21 & 22 and what cures to these problems exist. That way I can pass this info to the new L/E Glock .40 & 45 owners and they have a clue how to correct the issues.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 04-12-09 at 11:43. Reason: Edited for 3AM Grammar

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Phila,

The G22 issues can be read about here, over at lightfighter, and on the 10-8 site.

Personally, I wouldn't carry an issued G22 by choice.

Feedback Score
    The G22 is probably the #1 most common police duty pistol in the US. It is insanely more proven then many alternatives. To say it will have less endurance than a G17 is true, but it is no different than saying an AR running 6.8mm will have less endurance than a 5.56mm. Neither platform has as much of a safety factor as the original caliber design.

Feedback Score
    Dude,

Seriously, worry about getting hired, through background and through the academy and FTO. Caliber and pistol choice is ridiculous in comparison. If the G17 is reliable, go with it and don't look back. Worry about what is important, not the minutiae like which caliber to use.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    The G22 is probably the #1 most common police duty pistol in the US. It is insanely more proven then many alternatives. To say it will have less endurance than a G17 is true, but it is no different than saying an AR running 6.8mm will have less endurance than a 5.56mm. Neither platform has as much of a safety factor as the original caliber design.
    Now that makes a lot of sense, my G-17 is still solid function wise after 20 years of duty use. The G-17 is showing her age and while there is some good years left in her I wanted to retire the pistol to lite recreational use and go with another much newer Glock pistol to finish up my career (Next 10 years). I own like new Glock Model-17, 22 and 21SF's hence my question on which would survive the next 10 years with proper maintenance and care. As far as I can research and what Glock recommends if the recoil spring is replaced every 1200rds to 1500rds and the magazine springs replaced yearly the pistol either in .40 or .45acp should make it to the end of my career. I'M still open to any advice anyone here can offer.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast