Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern hollow point technology and .45s

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The G22 may be the most issued police duty pistol currently, however it is also the police duty pistol with the most reliability issues.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    The G22 may be the most issued police duty pistol currently, however it is also the police duty pistol with the most reliability issues.
    Bwahahahahahaha!

Ever seen a Sigma?

Okay, we'd have to define "most" and establish parameters. Most as a percentage of total police duty pistols? Most as a percentage of a single manufacturer? Most as... (you get the picture).

Feedback Score
    Does the Smegma even count as an LE duty pistol...I mean, any agency that actually adopted that POS has some serious problems with their test and eval protocols.

Feedback Score
    I think when you say "most" you mean absolute numbers rather than percentages. There are 4 million Glocks out there. What about the new RTF2 frame? It might be stiffer in the needed places.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 05-13-09 at 07:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Does the Smegma even count as an LE duty pistol...I mean, any agency that actually adopted that POS has some serious problems with their test and eval protocols.
    In the examples I'm thinking of, if you had asked them about T&E you'd get a blank stare in reply. Selection criteria for them was cost, and "free" was heard easily. Free never cost so much, as they found out.

In my experience, pitifully few agencies do any meaningful testing. What other testing does occur is shooting a box or two through a sameple, asking, "Bob, what do you think?", and then buying mostly by price anyway. Sometimes, they luck out. Others...

Feedback Score
    My local department did a test a number of years ago and selected the Steyr M40! Talk about not following the herd. I don't think they have had any problems with them.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/steyr40.htm

Claims to have a lower bore axis than a Glock. I wonder how much lower. I should shoot mine and see how I like it now. I might have the only one in MA in non-police hands. I special ordered it right before MA banned all handguns and then unbanned once which passed a set of drop tests.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 05-13-09 at 09:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Aherne View Post
    Dude,

Seriously, worry about getting hired, through background and through the academy and FTO. Caliber and pistol choice is ridiculous in comparison. If the G17 is reliable, go with it and don't look back. Worry about what is important, not the minutiae like which caliber to use.
    I understand your point, and I'm not trying to argue or go off-topic here, but what would you recommend for those of us who're starting our career to worry about?

I've passed everything up to this point thats "required" of me. Paperwork, initial testing, polygraph and now I just have to wait for my background investigation to be completed. And once that's done and I get a "conditional job offer" I get to see a doctor and psychologist for a psych eval.

So between reviewing P.O.S.T. study guides, as well as going to the gym I take the time out to read. I see no problem in making an "informed decision" on what weapon to use from guys who've "been there and done that" if we're allowed to choose our own duty weapon. Granted, some of those opinions are from guys who think they can beat Jerry Miculek/Dave Sevigny, but couldn't beat a one armed pigmy armed with a rock in a "hostile environment". But that's where I've got to deduce who to take to heart and who's grain of salt to use with dinner.

I'm not saying your gun > everything else. I know it's just one tool in an LEOs arsenal. But I'd rather not "tempt fate" on my sidearm being it's not only going to be responsible for my safety, but yours as well as my partner. I want to know that when the firing pin falls, the gunfight will be won by me. Not only because of superior/quality training by the Academy/FTO/Firearms Instructor(s), but I took the time to review my weapon and made an informed decision on what worked for me, based upon my peers and their opinions/recommendations on having more experience in the field.
    It is not length of life, but depth of life. - Emerson
    My boy Ducks fav quote - RIP brother

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_hopeful View Post
    I understand your point, and I'm not trying to argue or go off-topic here, but what would you recommend for those of us who're starting our career to worry about?

I've passed everything up to this point thats "required" of me. Paperwork, initial testing, polygraph and now I just have to wait for my background investigation to be completed. And once that's done and I get a "conditional job offer" I get to see a doctor and psychologist for a psych eval.

So between reviewing P.O.S.T. study guides, as well as going to the gym I take the time out to read. I see no problem in making an "informed decision" on what weapon to use from guys who've "been there and done that" if we're allowed to choose our own duty weapon. Granted, some of those opinions are from guys who think they can beat Jerry Miculek/Dave Sevigny, but couldn't beat a one armed pigmy armed with a rock in a "hostile environment". But that's where I've got to deduce who to take to heart and who's grain of salt to use with dinner.

I'm not saying your gun > everything else. I know it's just one tool in an LEOs arsenal. But I'd rather not "tempt fate" on my sidearm being it's not only going to be responsible for my safety, but yours as well as my partner. I want to know that when the firing pin falls, the gunfight will be won by me. Not only because of superior/quality training by the Academy/FTO/Firearms Instructor(s), but I took the time to review my weapon and made an informed decision on what worked for me, based upon my peers and their opinions/recommendations on having more experience in the field.

lolLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLBWAAAAAHAHAHHAAHAHAHA

Sorry man. That was great. I certainly hope yours was better than mine. I suggest whatever platform you decide on you seek out lots of additional training. I could give you a gold plated super duper death ray, if you can't deploy it, you're going to get killed with a .22.

Get a g17-19 and call it a day. Every man should have one. If from there you want to deviate, at least you have a good back up plan.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    I think when you say "most" you mean absolute numbers rather than percentages. There are 4 million Glocks out there. What about the new RTF2 frame? It might be stiffer in the needed places.

Most of those Glocks are 9mms, by far. The last time I talked to our Glock rep he advised that they are making 65,000 pistols a month to keep up with world-wide demand. Only in the US is there a significant market for anything but 9mms.

I am already hearing reports on the RTF frames in .40 having issues.

It's not a need for a stiffer frame, the stiffer frame is what is causing the extra slide velocity, and thus the fails to feed issues.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast