Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Case Trimmer recommendation for LOTS of brass

Feedback Score
    While I like my Dillon, one negative I didn't mention is, it is pretty loud.

I load in a detached garage, and I wear ear muffs when I'm running the trimmer. It has a vacuum attachment to hook up to a shop vac to suck up all the shavings, but I just do without and occasionally use the vac mnaually when shavings start to build up. But if you are inclined to run it with the vacuum attached, add that to your noise footprint.

Again, not a problem for me since I'm out back, but if this were set up in the basement, my better half would not be thrilled.

I've never seen a Giraud in action, so I can't comment on how the two compare from a noise perspective.

Feedback Score
    247 (100%)
    Like E-guns, I use a Dillon 1200B. I wish I was doing it on a 650, not a 550 - I really dislike manual indexing and case loading...oh well. I use a universal decapper in station 1 and the 1200 in station 3.

I moved to this to more or less keep up with the capabilities of my 1050. I was using a Gracie(works like a pencil sharpener) but was never happy when some of the brass just wouldnt fit in quite right. Felt better with the 1200's size and trim method.

I will also second Jmart - this thing cooking with the vacuum going...I just earphones. Pretty much limit my interval to 1 hr at a time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4fun View Post
    Like E-guns, I use a Dillon 1200B. I wish I was doing it on a 650, not a 550 - I really dislike manual indexing and case loading...oh well. I use a universal decapper in station 1 and the 1200 in station 3.

I moved to this to more or less keep up with the capabilities of my 1050. I was using a Gracie(works like a pencil sharpener) but was never happy when some of the brass just wouldnt fit in quite right. Felt better with the 1200's size and trim method.

I will also second Jmart - this thing cooking with the vacuum going...I just earphones. Pretty much limit my interval to 1 hr at a time.

Great info! Thanks again to all.

Feedback Score
    jmart
    I'm set up similar to you (550) with two tool heads. Except, I have a small base sizer in station #1 and the Dillon trimmer in station#3. My logic is that the expander in the first die takes care of any dents in the necks before they go to the trimmer. Is there an advantage to having the trimmer ahead of the other die?
    After trimming I tumble the lube off and run a universal de-capper in station #1 on my loading head just to be sure there is no tumbling media stuck in the flash hole.
    I like the idea of the flair die ironing out any micro burrs. Will it also clear the flash hole?
    Last edited by mutterranch; 04-16-09 at 22:26. Reason: additional question
    "Recognize that government invasion of public power is eventually an assault upon your own business. If some among you fear taking a stand because you are afraid of reprisals from customers, clients, or even government, recognize that you are just feeding the crocodile hoping he'll eat you last." --Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    I deprime before the initial tumbling to get all the grunge off. That's done on a SS press. It's an extra pull of the handle, but often I just deprime, tumble and then toss in a bucket for later processing, so it doesn't feel like it takes any longer by the time I get around to prep and loading.

The reason I set up the resizer after the trimmer is to bring the neck back up in diameter. The Dillon trim die really squeezes that neck down, and I end up bringing it up another couple of thousandths after running it over my polished expander ball. I polished the ball to result in approx .003 neck tension. That, combined with a light crimp, prevents any setback.

I know there's a lot of guys that run the trimmer after the resizer, and if it works for them, rock on. I just have becommed accustomed to my setup and I like the way it works for me.

The case flaring die doesn't deprime, so you have to start with an already de-primed case on your loading toolhead. The flaring die is just added insurance, in reality I don't think it's absolutely necessary, but given how my case prep toolhead is setup, that left an empty slot on the loading toolhead so I thought to make best use of it add the flaring die. It does help with seating FB bullets, but otherwise it's not really all that necessary. They cost only $10-15 IIRC.

Feedback Score
    I run a Giraud and I would sell many of my rifles before i got rid of my trimmer. It is, without question, one of those pieces of gear that you use once and question how you ever got by without it.

Get the Giraud, and us the significant time savings to shoot more. It is that good.

P.S. I am hoping to have the same revelation with the SWR Omega 300 (Come on ATF, andy week now!) for my precision rifle....how did I ever shoot without one?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Depends. I know "ti ti" about .308. But with .223 and some 5.56 you don't need to trim. I can get 3 loadings out of many kinds of brass without ever trimming them.
    This is true.....If you don't mind in-accurate ammo, and using a Case extractor to remove the blown out brass from the chamber..

All rifle brass grows upon Firing. If you want accurate ammo, using cases that are not trimmed is not the way to do it. Different trim lengths cause different neck tension, different neck tension caused the bullet to release at differing pressures.

Differing pressures cause inaccurate ammo, because velocity is not constant....among other things.

Never mind the first time you jam a untrimmed case into the Leade, you run the risk of increasing pressures way past dangerous levels.

Plus, getting an OAL consistent is going to be fun..........As is getting a decent, REPEATABLE crimp.

Trimming brass is a part of reloading that must not be skipped....If you want to produce the best ammo you can. If all you are looking for are noisemakers and flyers, by all means, reload as found on the ground.

Feedback Score
    jmart,
    Thanks, I knew you had a reason. My neck tension is a little tight but I'm finished in two passes through the press. Good accurate ammo and lots of it fast...
    Thanks again.
    "Recognize that government invasion of public power is eventually an assault upon your own business. If some among you fear taking a stand because you are afraid of reprisals from customers, clients, or even government, recognize that you are just feeding the crocodile hoping he'll eat you last." --Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I grabbed a Giraud when they first came out and when I was shooting a lot of high power. It's a very well made tool and I like the fact that it chamfers as well as trims. I really dislike trimming and chamfering brass, but the Giraud makes it tolerable. I use a Forster trimmer for small lots and keep the Giraud on stand by for large amounts of 223, 308, or 30-06. It is important to make sure you have a good sizing set up that results in a consistent shoulder location or else you will get some variation in case length with the Giraud.

Forrest
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    Distinguished Rifleman #1558
    President's Hundred

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123