Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre Workout?

Feedback Score

Pre Workout?

For those who wake up and go workout what do you eat or take before your workout? I read some take a whey shake and some take some of these "NO" products. Thanks

Feedback Score
    When I workout right after I wake up, all I have is a cup of coffee and water first. No meal right before a workout. What's more important is what you eat right after a workout.
    Last edited by ballistic; 04-10-09 at 12:55.

Feedback Score
    water and a banana if I'm going for hard cardio. I try to eat at least 1 to 2 hours before the workout though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'll have a cup of yoghurt and maybe a graham cracker with some water 30 to 45 minutes before working out and within 30 minutes of waking up. A good protein shake within an hour after working out.

Feedback Score
    water, a banana with some peanut butter, and a scoop of NO Shotgun.

i dont consume any other form of caffeine so the NO Shotgun is my only source of caffeine, its sort of like my morning coffe. the NO Shotgun also has creatine and 21g of whey protein in it.

Feedback Score
    The Crossfit program is intense enough that I often get heartburn or mild nausea if I work out too soon after eating.

On the rare occasions when I wake up early enough to work out first thing in the AM, I have no trouble working out on an empty stomach.

Otherwise, I try not to eat within about two hours before my workout, and if it's less than four or five hours, I slightly reduce the carbohydrate load and reduce or avoid caffeine.

I try to eat something as soon as possible after the workout. At least something like a Balance bar, but preferably a full meal in Zone proportions.

Feedback Score
    i eat a huge meal right before bed, usually a cup of jasmine rice and two chicken breasts (seasoned with dillo dust). so im usually good to go if i workout within about 30 min of waking up. however, some times the banana can really help me through my workouts.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The notion of caffeine being bad for a workout has been pretty thoroughly disproven. There is a growing body of literature that says that coffee just before a workout might actually be a good idea. Avoid cream/milk in your coffee if you're going to do this.

Eating a heavy meal right before you go to bed is not a good idea if you're trying to lose weight.

Similarly you shouldn't work out on a full stomach. Wait at least an hour after eating before working out...a high protein shake/meal right after working out however is a good idea.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    For those who wake up and go workout what do you eat or take before your workout?
    Usually nothing. If the workout is going to be over an hour then I'll have a banana or energy bar (whatever the wife buys for me at Sam's) and water half way through the workout. In summer time, I'll be drinking (usually just water) before and during the workout (every 10 to 15 minutes).
    Last edited by NoBody; 04-11-09 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    The notion of caffeine being bad for a workout has been pretty thoroughly disproven. There is a growing body of literature that says that coffee just before a workout might actually be a good idea. Avoid cream/milk in your coffee if you're going to do this.

Eating a heavy meal right before you go to bed is not a good idea if you're trying to lose weight.

Similarly you shouldn't work out on a full stomach. Wait at least an hour after eating before working out...a high protein shake/meal right after working out however is a good idea.
    Im certainly not trying to loose weight, im a triathlete. 6 foot, 176lbs, sub ten percent bf. i do this intentionally to keep from going catabolic in the night and to carb load for the next day, keeps my glycogen levels up.

i also usually wait about fourty five min after eating a banana to work out. i never work out on a full stomach, that never goes well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast