Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bug Out Bag: Test 2

Feedback Score
    The hammock idea is a great one, I still have a modified GI jungle hammock, I replaced the two ropes, and added climbing webbing to secure the hammock around trees using a water knot. A GI poncho, a taught line, 4 bungee cords,550 cord and tent stakes you can make an excellent shelter. Throw in a mosquito net in the summer, your GTG.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    as an avid hammock user i have both the ENO and a Hennessy. you can get fitted bug nets and rain flys for the ENO or make them cheaper. the Hennessy comes with the netting attached and also a rainfly, with all the rope, straps and a couple tent stakes my Hennessy tips the scale at 3.5 lbs and is about the size of a football. also have a down underquilt made by Jack's that let's me take the Hammock out year 'round.
    ===========================================================
    Alcohol, Tobacco And Firearms Should Be A Convenience Store, NOT A Gov't Agency.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=TheLandlord;348988]

I'd gotten a cheap, Texsport tent that is light as a feather and "good enough" until I could decide on a high-end tent.

If you want a high end tent, Hilleberg is the absolute Cadillac of high end mountaineering grade tents. This is what is used on Everest. There are many models. I would recomend a 4 season model with vestibule and two doors. I have stayed many nights in them up to winds of 60-70 MPH and it took it like a champ. Peace of mind and comfort all in a light weight package.

4) Speaking of water, I have absolutely no treatment systems, other than the Jetboil. I'd rather not waste fuel on boiling drinking water, so put a filter on the "must have" list.

For water filters for hiking, this is the best one to get. I have one, the filter does not need to be replaced when clogged, but easily cleaned in the field. Fills a Nalegene bottle in about 1 minute.

http://cascadedesigns.com/MSR/Water-...filter/product

Good to see you are taking you preps seriously. Good on you.
    Cold Zero

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234