2 (100%)
    Good choice on the Eagle's Nest hammy.

I own one as well and love it.

Compact and VERY comfortable!
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLandlord View Post
    @ HES: No! The Assault Pack that accompanies the CFP-90 is horrible IMO.
    QFT!!! I agree with you 100% Im looking for an attachable Assault pack to replace the one that comes with the CFP. Looks like I'll have to change out the snap buckles as well though. You have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLandlord View Post
    I need to throw up some pictures. The "Ultralight" setup has the buttpack added, and sleeping bag attached. I used an old Spec-Ops radio pouch to stash the poncho on my pistol belt, since, short of an injury, that will be the item I want with a good bit of rapidity.
    Im with you about the butt pack. that can be invaluable. I use teh standard one that comes with the issue MOLLE LBV. So far not too bad. I also use it to raise where the pack sits on my back so it doesnt put as much of a strain on my shoulders.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic303 View Post
    A question for the Ultralight camping guy-- Tarps are nice & all, but what do you do about the mosquito problem?
    Well, depending on where you are that is a bigger problem in some places. You can carry a no-see-um jungle net and probably still be lighter/more compact than a tent set up, and there is always chemical repellants. I used to do a combination of these two systems. A net cut down the bare minimum and another piece that hung off my "floppy hat" around your face with enough elastic around the bottom to keep bugs off you face and ears. This plus some DEET heavy spay was usually good.

Although when I was in the woods in the Pacific NW one early summer it seemed that those darn bugs would get in anything....that was a miserable couple nights!

Question for the OP:

Why do you carry a knife and the gerber multi-tool? That seems redundant as most multi-tools usually have at least one blade in them. Seems like you could save some space/weight there pretty easily. FWIW

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Warrior: Originally space and weight weren't a concern. In the new pack, they most certainly are. Astute point.

That being said, the multi-tool is a great all 'rounder, but I carry the Gerber everyday, so:

1) I'm used to carrying it in my pocket
    2) The multi-tool doesn't have any blades that come close to the folder's blade

I think the more important question is why, despite it not being shown, do I carry a Ranger Knives RD-9 when I have the multi-tool, and the folder.

I honestly don't know. Since that's part of the kit, I'll probably ditch the Gerber saw I've got.

We'll see.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Saw this guy at work on Tuesday, and gave him a couple of glamour shots from my company camera on Wednesday. If he'd been a little more fresh, I'dve thrown him in the vehicle, and cooked his ass for supper. I've been wanting to do a thread on cookin' victuals scored from mother N, and old slitherin' sam here would've been nice. My guess is that he froze to death, since the weather here has been fluctuating pretty badly, between hot/cold, etc. He wasn't showing any visible trauma, which made me think he died from exposure. On Tuesday he was looking/smelling great. By Wednesday the ants started munching on him, and he was smellin' pretty foul.

It's best, when scavenging for carrion, to determine the cause of death. Especially so with snakes. It's possible that the snake consumed a poisoned mouse or rat, and will pass the toxins on to you. Stay safe!

Feedback Score
    the OP is dead on, testing his plan is nothing more then training and everyone knows how important training is. Anyone want to bet on how long before the OP begins throwing problems into his plan? That may be an interesting twist. Maybe put a couple problems to paper place them in a small bag and draw blind? Me and my hunting partner do a 5-7 day 25-35 mile scouting trip in the summer here in the rockies, almost always around 10,000' but we spend alot of time above timberline(roughly12,000'), living on nothing more then what we carry, I see some new twists to our next trip.

Lip
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE, Give them nothing and take from them everything! ok maybe not everything!?

Feedback Score
    For the OP- have you looked into something like the Asolo FSN 95's? These are fairly lightweight GTX hikers that are most definitely gtg for moderate loads. I have no trouble with 30-40 lbs at all using those boots. They are GTX, so they offer decent protection, but they breath well enough. I live in SoCal (it's hot here) and they are not too bad.

I think something like that would make your life easier vs the boots you mentioned. Just my .02 of course.

Very good post, btw.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    More Woodland Chow (Opportunity 2):

Last edited by Outlander Systems; 05-14-09 at 21:48.

Feedback Score

a cfp-90 retrospective

As far as the assault pack goes, it sucks. I used it more as a storage compartment. I detached the shoulder straps, ziptied them together and left them in the ruck. I used the compartments, for the quick access gear. I modified my assault pack, with 2 sewn in D-rings from a unservicable ALICE medium, that were attached to a 2 quart sling. The sling had the metal attachment points cut and was secured by 550 cord. The assault pack would house IV bags, bandoleer, SAW belt,ect. Essentially it was the equivilant of a claymore pocket on qn ALICE ruck except that I could sling it over my shoulder need be. As far as the buttpack, during this time period we were still using the LBV-88 with a buttpack. (circa later 90's) As a backpack the more gear you put into the assault pack, the worse it got. If it was lightly filled with the draw strings yanked to the max, it wasn't that bad, so if you can pull it "high and tight" on your back it was alright, other than that it was horrible.

If you do use the assault pack combo it is best to have it as high on the top flap of the ruck as possible.

There had been some complaints about the durability of the ruck, but it was jumpable. I know for sure it was common in the 10th MTN, 1/501st PIR, and some elements in the 82nd. I never took the pack above about 55 LBS and mine is still servicable.

Later on I saw the pack used in OEF, one particular soldier had cut the webbing off the pack and sewed attachment points for a hydration carrier. Another option would be sewing attachment points to mount a MOLLE rucksack sustainment pouch. Perhaps an issue MOLLE assault pack could be mounted, I have both here, so I'll find out if anyone is intersted. One downside of the ruck is that it wasnt designed to mount a hydration bladder but it was designed in another time. A modern day military ruck would incorpate a hydration bladder.

If I were to modify the pack today I would utilize a hydration carrier with PALS webbing with the capabilty to mount pouches. Back in the day I should have modified a camelbak with should harness with fastex buckles, quick on and off. Over the shoulder camelbacks were the norm. The ALICE webbing on the back sucked for mounting (2) 2 quarts, I would mount mine on kidney pad webbing with zipties and 550. If your humping a big pack water should be the key component. Off the top of my head I would bet you could retain the issue assault pack and a hydration carrier.

I gotta run.

Oh, If you want a lighweight sleeping mat, the home insulation wrap Zytel ?, is supposed to be the current fad. On the sleeping pad note, the paratrooper thermarests would fit into the hood of a vs-17 panel and offer space for a makeshift pillow, maybe a interseting note for some. Ill try it out it in a couple months, sounds plausible. Using the lightweight Zytel underneath a VS-17 panel would be a good lightweight combo with ground insulation or so I heard. With the thermarest, it should be GTG in virtually any condition.

Edit Note: The home insulation wrap is tyvek.
    Last edited by ABN; 06-09-09 at 12:12. Reason: Zytel is actually tyvek

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you are in a wooded area, try sleeping in a hammock with sleeping bag. You need less under you and will be warmer in the winter than sleeping on the ground. When sleeping on the ground you need more under you than over you. I learned this from some old timers when I was a Boy Scout leader and sure enough it worked great. Including in winter campouts in New England with lots of snow on the ground.

Also, don't sleep in your clothes in your sleeping bag. Either change to some "PJs" or sleep in your skivvies only in your sleeping bag. You do NOT want to get moisture into your clothes from sleeping in the sleeping bag and sweating. Walking around the next day, especially in a cold climate, you will be uncomfortable with the moist clothes and in cold climate really really cold.

A simple double wide lightweight hammock works great. A simple rope/550 cord to tie above you and drape a simple tarp or piece of plastic sheeting to keep rain off you and use chemical repellents and head nets for bugs (I was doing this in New England/Mass with lots of mosquitos) during bug season. Also tie little string pieces to each end of the hammock (like those dumb icicle type X-Mas lights you can hang on your house) so any water from rain that runs down the tree will not run down your hammock suspension ropes but will drop off the small strings you have tied... Hard to explain, wish I had pictures.

This saves you the weight of a tent and in the winter will probably keep you warmer.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast