View Poll Results: Railed or non-railed???

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • no rail

38 47.50%
  • rail

42 52.50%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: 1911 rail or no-rail???

Feedback Score

Poll: 1911 rail or no-rail???

I'm thinking about picking one up.

I'm having trouble making up my mind about rail vs. no-rail. I had the standard non-railed version before, and it was freakin' sweet.

Pro's and cons as far as I know.

Railed-
    Pro:
    Easily takes a surefire X300
    Thicker dust cover = less prone to cracking with high volume shooting ???
    Current FBI HRT issue (I pretty sure)

Con:
    Weight
    holster selection
    non classic 1911 look

Non-railed-
    Pro:
    Looks classy as hell
    I already have a decent holster for it

Con:
    Must modify to take a light, not sure I want to drill into the dust cover...

Frankly I have glock 19's for HD and normal CCW (once I get a permit) and this 1911 would only be a safe queen/training gun and since it's pretty big, I will only carry it in winter clothing so...

Which would you choose?

Feedback Score
    I prefer with a rail and its there if you want it. However the non railed feels so much better in my hand on an identical 1911. You can add a Dawson and I was going to add one to something that was just at Springfields Custom Shop but they said they had problems with frames cracking and wont install them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I always default to the railed version of pistols since it is easier for me to mount a light on them.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Railed. If you buy a holster that works with a railed 1911 it will work with your other standard 1911's. Having a light on a duty gun or a home defense gun is a very good idea.

Last edited by Alaskapopo; 04-14-09 at 16:12.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
    I prefer with a rail and its there if you want it. However the non railed feels so much better in my hand on an identical 1911. You can add a Dawson and I was going to add one to something that was just at Springfields Custom Shop but they said they had problems with frames cracking and wont install them.
    I am curious as to why it feels better in your hand because the grip area is not affected by the rail. Do you mean the way it balances?
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickStrike View Post

Frankly I have glock 19's for HD and normal CCW (once I get a permit) and this 1911 would only be a safe queen/training gun and since it's pretty big, I will only carry it in winter clothing so...

Which would you choose?
    You say the gun will be a "safe queen/training gun", but you will carry a Glock 19. Why not use your carry gun as your training gun? How much low light training will you do? Do you carry with a light attached to your 19?

When you do carry the 1911 in the winter, if you buy a railed version will you carry it with the light attached?

I have both, but carry a non-railed 1911 everyday. So when I train, I train with a non-railed 1911. For low light trainng, I use a handheld flashlight. My last two 1911 purchases have been without rails.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You want that Pro back???
    LOL

What I did or do is use the SureFire MR 07 rail adapter, when you want a rail just install very quick and easy and when not just pop it off and use the regular slide stop.
    My future's determined by Thieves, thugs, and vermin
    My rights are denied by Those least qualified
    Everything's backwards In Americana

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thomas View Post
    You say the gun will be a "safe queen/training gun", but you will carry a Glock 19. Why not use your carry gun as your training gun? How much low light training will you do? Do you carry with a light attached to your 19?

When you do carry the 1911 in the winter, if you buy a railed version will you carry it with the light attached?

I have both, but carry a non-railed 1911 everyday. So when I train, I train with a non-railed 1911. For low light trainng, I use a handheld flashlight. My last two 1911 purchases have been without rails.
    I haven't done ANY low light training, and will probably not have a light on a carry gun anyway. Another 1911 isn't the most practical option for me, I just want a nice 1911!

Quote Originally Posted by the1911fan
    You want that Pro back???
    LOL

What I did or do is use the SureFire MR 07 rail adapter, when you want a rail just install very quick and easy and when not just pop it off and use the regular slide stop.
    hehe, still debating if I should get that, or wait for a noveske n4 middy.

Does the surefire rail adapter get in the way of the last round hold open or require fitting?
    Last edited by QuickStrike; 04-13-09 at 23:06.

Feedback Score
    Depends on your application of the firearm. You already mentioned the most common factors, which are classic look and holster selection.

For my uses, I like railed versions.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickStrike View Post

hehe, still debating if I should get that, or wait for a noveske n4 middy.

Does the surefire rail adapter get in the way of the last round hold open or require fitting?
    It dropped right in and worked like it was made for the Pro..on my other SA ( Bob Miller Customized Mil Spec) it is very tight but works just fine...very tight hard to get on and off that gun. The Pro works with every crappy magazine/crappy ammo I've thrown at it. The Pro is the best gun I've ever owned.
    My future's determined by Thieves, thugs, and vermin
    My rights are denied by Those least qualified
    Everything's backwards In Americana

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast