Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NRA Service Rifle

Feedback Score

NRA Service Rifle

How many here are shooting NRA service rifle matches? I do.
    Stan

USN Ret.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Me too.

Feedback Score
    I feel this may be the wrong forum for High Power shooters.

I initially joined because of the emphasis put on reliability and durability of the AR-15 platform.
    IMO, that's extremely important in a Service Rifle/Match Rifle. Most of the fellows here seem to be tactical shooters, not a lot we can get that's still within CMP rules.

Still, I have learned a bit, and with an open mind hope to get even smarter.

Mark15

Feedback Score
    I've shot Service Rifle a few times, and last year decided to get bit more serious about it after shooting at the Atlantic Fleet match.

I just put together my first Service Rifle class AR. I won't get to use it for the fleet this year as I just had back surgery and am on some pretty strict limitations right now.

SSGN- my new home under water. Capable of delivering150 Tomahawk missles, 90 Spec-ops operators and most importantly, I get to have a real medical space...with a door and everything!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    I've shot Service Rifle a few times, and last year decided to get bit more serious about it after shooting at the Atlantic Fleet match.

I just put together my first Service Rifle class AR. I won't get to use it for the fleet this year as I just had back surgery and am on some pretty strict limitations right now.

Who built your AR?
    Stan

USN Ret.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I put the rifle together.

The lower is an Anvil Arms lowr reciever (Laser engraved by them for me as well).
    Stag lower parts kit with RRA 2 stage trigger.

The Upper is a DPMS NM A2 with WhiteOak NM rear sight apperture and I did the JB weld trick to true up the elevation travel.
    DPMS BCG
    DPMS 1:8 twist cryo-treated SS barrel. (Everyone else was out of barrels when I started looking) I know this is going to have a tight chamber. But it seems more accurate than I am still, so I'll have to get to where I can outshoot this rig before I have to replace the barrel.

I have also bedded the rear lug of the upper so there is no play between upper and lower. (I know it isn't supposed to affect accuracy, but all of the Navy RRA rifles last year were tightly fitted upper/lower combos, so I figured it couldn't hurt).

Running the web sling as I find it easier to get set between stages.

It's definitely a different set-up than any of my other ARs that have been built with an eye toward light weight, and fast pointing.

I just found that I need to really build on my marksmanship fundamentals and found that Service Rifle is the best place for me to do this. I like the challenges of a "limited class" and working within those limits to see how good I can get and how much I need to improve. It seems easier without all the "high speed parts" acting as variables and distractions that you can blame for poor performance.

I can still grow into this sport by getting better barrels down the road, spending some cash on a good shooting coat, and getting a nicer spotting scope. But most of the growth will have to come from my own improvement in technique.
    SSGN- my new home under water. Capable of delivering150 Tomahawk missles, 90 Spec-ops operators and most importantly, I get to have a real medical space...with a door and everything!

Feedback Score
    What are you all shooting at 600 yards. I've been messing around with Berger 80gr VLD's with good results. Also 77gr Sierra match also with good results. For the 200 and 300yd shoots I use 69gr Sierra's with very good results. I have an RRA NM A2. I like the Wilson barrel that it comes with, but when its done I'll install a Krieger with 1:7.75 twist. I have a buddy that has one and he shoots stellar groups with it. He also is a very good shot which does not hurt. I've been thinking about trying to set-up a load for the 70gr Berger. Whats everyone shooting?
    Stan

USN Ret.

Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    At the fleet matches everyone was given Black Hills Mk 262 Mod 1 ammo. 77gr SMK with caneluer(sp?). Used this round at 200, 300, and 600(500 reduced).

I've been practicing with Black Hills 77 and 75 gr match (seconds). I've also run some Hornady 75 gr TAP that performs quite well. Prvi Partisan 75gr Match works fairly well but gives regular flyers about 1 out of every 5-6 rounds.

Many of the folks I spoke to at the Fleet match were happy with the 77gr. Sierra Match Kings over Ram Tac powder for handloads.

Feedback Score
    That's a nice looking rig!

What are you using for a free float tube?

What chamber are you running? I've found the 5.56 match chamber works well. This chamber has the NATO freebore with the leade (sp?) cut for the ogive of the heavier Sierra Matchkings. The extra freebore lets you seat the 80's out to take advantage of the limited case capacity.

I've been getting away with a flattop receiver. I use an "F" height front sight, and so far, haven't run out of elevation at 600. Maybe I've just been lucky. LOL

I really like the AR platform. IMO, it's not as much fun as the M1A, but they're not tempermental like the M1A's either. I've found the AR's to outshoot the old rifles any time.

Mark15

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stanlyonjr View Post
    How many here are shooting NRA service rifle matches? I do.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark15 View Post
    I feel this may be the wrong forum for High Power shooters.
    Without a doubt (although many SR competitors I know shoot ARs in other configurations as well). Plus, it’s always entertaining to see how many people think you can’t hit anything with an AR past 200 yards without an optic.

Quote Originally Posted by stanlyonjr View Post
    What are you all shooting at 600 yards. I've been messing around with Berger 80gr VLD's with good results. Also 77gr Sierra match also with good results. For the 200 and 300yd shoots I use 69gr Sierra's with very good results. … Whats everyone shooting?
    Sierra 69 MKs at 200/300, Sierra 80 MKs at 600, all moly’d. I’m going to work up some loads for Sierra 77 MKs and see how they do at 300.

Bushmaster lower, Jewell trigger, CLE-built upper with floated 1:8 BlackStar barrel as primary gun … Colt with Milazzo trigger, Turner-built upper with floated Obermeyer 1:8 barrel as backup. Each gun weighs about 14 pounds.

Fortunately there is a lot of Highpower activity in my area with 2 600-yard ranges not too far away.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast