Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NRA Service Rifle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by exkc135driver View Post
    Me too.

Without a doubt (although many SR competitors I know shoot ARs in other configurations as well). Plus, it’s always entertaining to see how many people think you can’t hit anything with an AR past 200 yards without an optic.

Sierra 69 MKs at 200/300, Sierra 80 MKs at 600, all moly’d. I’m going to work up some loads for Sierra 77 MKs and see how they do at 300.

Bushmaster lower, Jewell trigger, CLE-built upper with floated 1:8 BlackStar barrel as primary gun … Colt with Milazzo trigger, Turner-built upper with floated Obermeyer 1:8 barrel as backup. Each gun weighs about 14 pounds.

Fortunately there is a lot of Highpower activity in my area with 2 600-yard ranges not too far away.
    Whats even more entertaining than that is people who have no clue about NRA service rifle competition. The AR-15 rifle we shoot are not your average AR-15. 20" match barrels, 1/4 min pinned precision sights, full floating front hand guards, two stage match triggers, ammo hand loaded and tuned to the best performance for each individual barrel (which requires hours of painstaking testing and more testing). Leather shooting jackets that fit like a glove. A national match leather slings that are pulled so tight they cut off the circulation in your arm all used in conjunction to hold the rifle as still as possible for the highest shot value. And oh yeah all done with open metal sights at up to and including 600 yards. Thats what NRA service rifle is all about. No scopes, no fancy optics, No BS!!
    Stan

USN Ret.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stanlyonjr View Post
    Thats what NRA service rifle is all about. No scopes, no fancy optics, No BS!!
    But what is even better (at least compared to IPSC/USPSA) is ... no quibbling ... no whining ... no bitching and moaning. If it rains, you get wet. If your firing point has ants, you get bit. If you've been to Perry every year since 1909, nobody really cares. If your shot scores as a "9," you accept it. No going to find the CRO and cry on his shoulder.

Feedback Score
    Exactly. The only time an event is called is for lightning. Kind of a rain, snow or sleet sort of thing.
    Stan

USN Ret.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark15 View Post
    That's a nice looking rig!

What are you using for a free float tube?

What chamber are you running? I've found the 5.56 match chamber works well. This chamber has the NATO freebore with the leade (sp?) cut for the ogive of the heavier Sierra Matchkings. The extra freebore lets you seat the 80's out to take advantage of the limited case capacity.

I've been getting away with a flattop receiver. I use an "F" height front sight, and so far, haven't run out of elevation at 600. Maybe I've just been lucky. LOL

I really like the AR platform. IMO, it's not as much fun as the M1A, but they're not tempermental like the M1A's either. I've found the AR's to outshoot the old rifles any time.

Mark15
    This rifle has a White Oak float tube and is running a .223 match chamber. It seems to be o.k. with loads up to 77gr so far. I haven't tried any 80 gr loads.

Next barrel will probably be a Krieger with .223 Wylde chamber and 1:7.7 twist.

The first service rifle match I ever shot was with an M1A. The AR seems so much easier to handle on the firing line though that it almost feels like cheating.
    SSGN- my new home under water. Capable of delivering150 Tomahawk missles, 90 Spec-ops operators and most importantly, I get to have a real medical space...with a door and everything!

Feedback Score
    The old joke goes something like this.

The firing line was a sea of mud:

The smallbore shooter picked up and went home.

The pistol shooter filed a written protest.

The trap shooter whined about it.

The high power shooter laid down in it.

Mark15

Feedback Score
    Will anybody here be at the Atlantic Fleet Matches in a few weeks.

Feedback Score
    West coast here!! Sorry. Too far to drive.
    Stan

USN Ret.

Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I was planning on it until my back surgery. Good range and lots of good folks that come out there to put it on. Be prepared to learn some great tips. I learned more in a week there than I had in years.

If LCDR (Probably CDR by now) Bartell is there and gives his class on 1911 building stay the extra day and sit in on it.

Lots of Distinguished Marksmen out there giving great coaching on the early stages, before coaching gets prohibited.

The Academy team did really well last year. Their Doc wasn't too shabby either, Pretty sure he went home with a certificate for one of the SECNAV's rifles last year.
    SSGN- my new home under water. Capable of delivering150 Tomahawk missles, 90 Spec-ops operators and most importantly, I get to have a real medical space...with a door and everything!

Feedback Score
    Yea, I've been before. Took High Active Pistol Team Trophy and I'm embarrassed to say I got First Leather the second EIC match. Hopefully I'll break the curse in a few weeks as I was told no one who took that booby prize has placed in awhile.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Pacific Fleet Matches Start this Weekend at Pendleton...

Be there!

Trying that one-handed pistol stuff again --that stuff's hard!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast