Thread: Is my Barrel Chrome-Lined?

Feedback Score

Is my Barrel Chrome-Lined?

I just traded uppers with a guy who said his barrel is chrome-lined. I've looked into the bore with a bore light and although it's shiny it's not bright silverish in color. My other AR that I know to be chrome-lined is bright silver. His chamber has a dull grey around it which leads me to believe it's chromed.

I don't have much info other than it's a Colt A1 20" heavy barrel with 1:7 twist and the rifling looks good. Any help is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    From the sounds of the "dull grey" ring, it sounds like it is HCed... one sure way to find out (without hurting anything) is to take a q-tip with a little cold bluing solution on it, and wipe the area that you suspect is chrome -- cold bluing will do nothing to chrome.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    Thanks K.L. Davis. I'm sorry for being such a newb, but what is "HCed"? It'll be a while before I can try the cold bluing trick, but I appreciate the info. I'm learning, slowly but surely.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Messiah Jones
    Thanks K.L. Davis. I'm sorry for being such a newb, but what is "HCed"? It'll be a while before I can try the cold bluing trick, but I appreciate the info. I'm learning, slowly but surely.
    Sorry... Hard Chromed
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    Colt Match Target Barrels were chrome chamber and not chrome lined. Another cost cutting measure that Colt engaged in during the 1990's. They are said to be very accurate.

Feedback Score
    Is that what I have here... a Colt Match Target Barrel form the 1990's?

Feedback Score
    Is it a ban model with no bayo/lug or flash suppresor. Is it marked on barrel C MP 1/9 Nato? Does the bore appear to have a chrome circle around it or not?

Colt chrome barrels will have C MP C 1/9 or 1/7 NATO on them. And the Hard Chrome linning is visable at the bore. Shine a flashlight in from the bore you should be able to determine right off if chrome lined or not.

Feedback Score
    The barrel reads C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 and it does have the bayo lug and flash supressor.

I've shined a borelight down the barrel and it seems bright, but nowhere near as bright as my Armalite chromed barrel. The Armalite is like a mirror. That's what has me wondering.

The chamber has a dull grey ring around it which leads me to believe it has a chromed chamber at least.

I've read that Colt made some with chromed chambers without chroming the barrels. Also, it was news to me when I discovered that chrome moly barrels aren't the same as chrome-lined.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Messiah Jones
    The barrel reads C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 and it does have the bayo lug and flash supressor.

I've shined a borelight down the barrel and it seems bright, but nowhere near as bright as my Armalite chromed barrel. The Armalite is like a mirror. That's what has me wondering.

The chamber has a dull grey ring around it which leads me to believe it has a chromed chamber at least.

I've read that Colt made some with chromed chambers without chroming the barrels. Also, it was news to me when I discovered that chrome moly barrels aren't the same as chrome-lined.
    I belive you may have one of the Colts you read about. Chromed Chamber and non-chromed bore. C MP C 1/7 NATO would be both chromed bore and chamber...