Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Essential abilities...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Essential abilities...

Like many of you, I've been thinking a lot about how to be a better prepared person. Cool gear, EMP-proof vehicles, bugout bags and remote locations are great, but there's definitely more to it than that. With this in mind, I'm going through the exercise of coming up with a list of "essential abilities"; things that I think anyone should be able to do in order to be a well rounded person, able to cope with just about any situation that life throws at them. This list is not inclusive and is a work in progress. Being able to do these things won't necessarily prepare you for every possible scenario. But in my opinion, if you are able to do all of these things, you're well ahead of the curve. So, with apologies to Heinlein and in no particular order, I believe a person should be able to:

change a tire
    change their own oil
    read a map
    precisely describe their own location (if you're driving down the road and have to call 911, can you accurately tell the dispatcher where you are?)
    frame a wall
    fix a leaky faucet
    wire an outlet
    safely handle and shoot a firearm
    detail strip and maintain their chosen firearm(s)
    reload ammunition
    sharpen a knife
    hunt, field dress and butcher a deer or similar size game animal
    catch, clean and fillet a fish
    grow a garden
    cook a meal
    build a fire
    pitch a tent
    tie some basic knots (square knot, bowline and two half hitches are a good start)
    sew a button
    do 5 pull ups
    bench press their own weight
    touch their toes
    run a mile
    perform CPR
    provide immediate care for wounds, burns and broken bones
    communicate effectively
    comprehend what they hear and read
    negotiate a deal
    balance a checkbook

Again, this is by no means comprehensive, and you can get more detailed and go a lot farther in each area. Being able to change your own oil doesn't make you a mechanic, but I know people who have driven their cars for years and never looked under the hood. You should at least have a basic understanding of what makes your car go.

I don't necessarily have all of these abilities, and many (if not all) of the ones that I do have are areas where I need improvement. Just a list of things that I have consciously undertaken to be able to do. Any others? Comments?

Feedback Score
    Sounds good
    A couple to add possibly

-know the basic hand tools and how to use them
    - know what plants are edible/poisonus in your area(mabye?)
    - start a fire with out matches,lighter,gas,etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How about:

-Swim
    - Tread water
    - Row/Sail a boat

Feedback Score
    All great points. Having been a boy scout and having been partially raised by family members that were do-it-yourselfers, I have fortunately been able to do most of the things on that list. I will have to work on my game butchering and wall framing abilities, however.

I have been thinking a lot lately on what encompasses a good all around preparedness agenda. Mainly from a self defense viewpoint but what I have come up with is essentially are 4 areas:

1. Strength training
    2. Cardio training
    3. Hand to hand defense (ju-jitsu, judo,etc.) + knife fighting tactics (Karambit, etc.)
    4. Marksmanship, gun handling, field stripping, combat tactics

These are in no particular order, and essential to them all is knowledge, to constantly learn.

I think if you spend time in each area, honing your skills, you will be very prepared to defend you and yours from whatever comes your way.

Also, it just happens that all of these things can be FUN hobbies as well, so its not like work really. Going to the gym, running, going to the range, taking ju-jitsu classes are all great fun.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Reminds me of this;

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I'm soooo ****ed.

I would put a higher emphasis on some of the physical portions of the list. Running a mile is good, but maybe ruck (hike) with 25lbs for 5 miles or something like that. I'm assuming the pull-ups and bench press are used as indicators of overall strength but maybe something more practical than a bench press could be the bar.

Maybe it has some application and maybe it doesn't but there are plenty of people (especially us old men) that don't have any computer skills except turning on the computer and opening a browser. There are plenty of guys that find it a HUGE success to host pictures here on the forums!! In a practical sense maybe more emphasis on the technology and communications portion. How about "operate a HAM Radio" or something?? Great, one more thing on the list I can't do.....

What about know how to preserve (smoke, can, etc.) food? filter and purify water?

Good list, and additions. Especially the swimming. Let me think of a few others.
    Josh
    (w)910.323.4739
    www.GreyGroupTraining.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Does burping the National Anthem count???
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    Good list. To be honest some of those I may not be able to do. Your list also got me to thinking. How far does a person take this? Ill try to explain. For people like others & myself the idea of being prepared is somewhat an enjoyable idea as well as pass time. I enjoy firearms, hunting, & have recently started reading up on personal survival & bug out scenarios. Others may not enjoy these things as much but understand a need to be prepared & do it somewhat grudgingly. But my thought is at what point do you take it to far? Or is there a point a person can? I’m curious if a person could spend so much time, energy, & money on being prepared that a person’s life might pass them. For instance I am married with one child. Yes I am responsible for being prepared but at what sacrifice to spending time with my wife & kiddo. Don't get me wrong I think a person should train & yes even work out, but I think it could overwhelm a person. There is lots of gear & guns I want. There is lots of training I would love to have. But alas money & time are valuable commodities & need to be used wisely. Thankfully for me my wife & kiddo share my interest in being prepared & so it works into our family quite well but even so could you not be come obsessed at some point? Just interested in other thoughts.
    Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    Good list. To be honest some of those I may not be able to do. Your list also got me to thinking. How far does a person take this? Ill try to explain. For people like others & myself the idea of being prepared is somewhat an enjoyable idea as well as pass time. I enjoy firearms, hunting, & have recently started reading up on personal survival & bug out scenarios. Others may not enjoy these things as much but understand a need to be prepared & do it somewhat grudgingly. But my thought is at what point do you take it to far? Or is there a point a person can? I’m curious if a person could spend so much time, energy, & money on being prepared that a person’s life might pass them. For instance I am married with one child. Yes I am responsible for being prepared but at what sacrifice to spending time with my wife & kiddo. Don't get me wrong I think a person should train & yes even work out, but I think it could overwhelm a person. There is lots of gear & guns I want. There is lots of training I would love to have. But alas money & time are valuable commodities & need to be used wisely. Thankfully for me my wife & kiddo share my interest in being prepared & so it works into our family quite well but even so could you not be come obsessed at some point? Just interested in other thoughts.
    No dude, you're right. I think it can be taken too far. There is always a balance. From the sounds of it you have the ability to recognize it and I'm sure the wife will let you know if things are getting a bit skewed.

My wife also appreciates that I take these things into consideration and she is pretty open to it, within reason. When I suggested places and supplies within the house for emergencies she was all ears. When I keep buying ammo and guns she gives me the stink eye.

One analogy that works for me is an insurance policy. We pay money into all kinds of insurance and mostly it doesn't get used, but when we need it, WE NEED IT. Within that analogy we wouldn't have a 10 million dollar policy on our house, and I wouldn't be so outrageous with my preparations either.

Sorry for getting off topic (again).
    Josh
    (w)910.323.4739
    www.GreyGroupTraining.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Drive a stick shift, ride/drive a motorcycle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast