Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTK: Any Distance Runners & Road Bikers Here?

Feedback Score
    Used to be a hardcore biker... long hauls, centuries, sprints etc.
    Was good enough to break into racing but decided against it after witnessing some of the "ethical issues" in the professional circuit.

My favorite times was doing mountain work in the "gunks" of New Paltz with my peloton of buddies.

LOL, I was once told (recently) that cycling isn't good for cardio, endurance or stamina. Guess I shouldn't judge him too harshly... Don't think he ever exeperienced the serious side of cycling.

Only real pain was buying pants for my leg size, waists always too loose.

Haven't ridden in a number of years, but am shaping up to hit the road again.
    God I love cycling.

Billy
    Last edited by BillyBones; 04-25-09 at 06:46.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBones View Post
    Only real pain was buying pants for my leg size, waists always too loose.

Billy

I know what you are talking about. My quads do not fit into "normal" cut jeans in my waist size. I always have to buy the "boot cut" in order for my quads to slip in.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cervelorider View Post
    Since last summer I have backed way off on volume as I have been into other interests. From '02 to '08 I was doing quiet a bit swim, bike, run, but to be a good triathlete you can't do anything else and I got tired of never having enough time to tackle other hobbies. I'm still on the email list and I just chuckle when I get the weekend schedule, Typical Sat ride 70-80mi mod to hard, run EZ five miles after. Sun run 12mi mod and EZ 2 hour ride after. I have to say I don't miss it. I do miss the incredible amount of fitness I carried around but it really isn't applicable to real-life, not being able to do really physical work (heavy lifting) because I had gotten so lean was imasculating. The ability to drop and lay down a fast 5K or a 40K time trial isn't really appreciated or given a crap about outside the endurance community. I'm 43 and I'm proud that I can now do 100 pushups straight or 5x50 pushups with short rest, and my fast as crap, super fit tri-geek friends can't do anything close to that, I have to pick my battles
    good stuff.i see u possibly ride a cervelo? colnago here.was a dedicated dh mt biker but had to make the switch to road due to time constraints.been riding for about 34 yrs now.do about 100 miles a week (some weeks alot more depending on weather!).love riding,especially when we have a good group.

Feedback Score
    I did my first group ride in a year on thurs. I am sore as heck in my glutes and inner thighs, and this was the easy thursday ride with only a few hard sprints and hills! Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Fitness is very fleating. 34years Dang, thats a lot of base miles in your legs. Awesome!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    At one point in time I was a Cat III road biker and Expert mountain biker. I even placed 6th at a NORBA national many, many moons ago.

Now I'm lucky if I can get out for 25 on a Sunday morning.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    you guys are soooo right about how long it takes to get in tip top shape only to become a total wreck in a few months of no training! 34 yrs is the total i've been riding,not at the top level!love riding.its right up there with shooting!i'm adding golf to round out the repetoire and that should do it for the sports til i'm in the nursing home!as for fitness base,4 yes of "humping" as a marine corps grunt added big time to it!
    Last edited by BiggLee71; 05-10-09 at 21:59.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Avid road biker here. Been doing charity rides for just over a year now.
    We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training.

-Archilochus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    aaaahhh,just got back from a nice relaxin 40 mile ride down by the jersey shore.tried out my new garmin 705 as well.pretty cool little gadget.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I took up road biking a couple of years ago because of a severe case of infantry knees. I don't have anything special, a Trek 1600 entry model; it gets the job done. I run a couple of days a week but anything over 6 miles, again the knees just can't take it anymore. I am really lucky, I am in a bike friendly town and live adjacent to a State park and can go mountain biking right from my garage. I am signing up for a Cross-Fit class. They open early and it fits my work schedule and I like the focus on core fitness.

Feedback Score
    Finished my second marathon 2 weeks ago. There's something therapeutic about the inherent suffering. All runners have a bit o' crazy in them to do this kind of thing willingly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast