Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Reliability for Colt 6920....

Feedback Score

Ultimate Reliability for Colt 6920....

Gentlemen,
    First off, I would like to say THANKS to the great founding members of this forum (whomever you may be), for creating such a great place, which I can already confirm is better than many of the other BS forums out there...

I'm proud to be here, and hope everyone doesn't mind me joining up, and getting a bit of help from the most knowledgeable persons here...

Anyhow, I have just purchased my very first M4, a Colt LE6920. I'm totally psyched to say the least.
    I have no experience with AR's until now, but I have much experience with shooting and also shooting with iron sights.
    Most importantly, I plan on buying as many quality mags (using HK right now) and ammo as I can afford, as well as all the range time I can get too.
    I simply need to get to know the weapon.

NOW, my BIGGEST concern is with reliability, and I know that keeping the weapon clean and lubricated is priority #1.
    SO, that brings me to the subject of mods to the weapon. This thread's purpose is to ask the more experienced persons on this forum for advice on what can be done to this 6920 to make it AS RELIABLE AS POSSIBLE????
    I realize not all that much needs to be done, but I have heard of some who have sent their Colt to a gentleman named Ken at SAW (Specialized Armament ?) for his reliability package. Apparently it costs about $150-$200, and I have not yet logged on to his website to see what this pkg consists of. I will do this soon however.
    I would like to ask you guys WHAT LIST of mods or part replacements, would you say could be/should be done to this 6920, in order to achieve ULTIMATE RELIABILITY????

Just a note, I do not plan on throwing on tons and tons of accessories onto this weapon. I simply plan to add what is needed. Below is a list of items I currently am thinking of adding..

1. Optic -BEST I can afford. Still not sure what to do here. WISH I could afford a Short Dot, but have heard the Nightforce 1-4x is a good choice too.???

2. Sling - STill not sure if I need a 2 or 3 point for general use???

3. BUIS's -Possibly Troy brand...

4. Possibly a vertical grip from TangoDown or Magpul.... or ???

Thanks guys for any help you could give.

As stated earlier, my NUMBER ONE GOAL is to make this weapon as reliable as ulitimately possible BEFORE I do ANY other mods....

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Welcome Razor,
    The only thing I would add to a 6920 to increase reliability would be a Crane-0-ring on the extractor and follow Pat Rogers guide on cleaning and lubing. Other than that shoot it.

Later,
    Robb
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    A brand new LE6920 is a wonderful thing.

It deserves to be fed good ammo - don't go cheap on this part. I like Federal XM193 and 55gr. FMJ American Eagle.

Buy a supply of good magazines (I recommend from CProducts or 44mag.com) and try them all out. The MagPul gen 2 follower is a good thing.

An extra bolt is a good idea too - G&R Tactical is a good resource for these.

Get some good lube and use it correctly, as per the Pat Rogers article.

A Crane o-ring or DFender around the extractor spring will go a long way.

Your carbine should be very relaibale and provide you with shooting bliss.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Buy good mags, junk mags is the surest way to buy trouble with an AR.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys,
    This is JUST what I was looking for.

1. Can you guys tell me where is a good place to get this Crane-O-Ring?

2. Can you tell me what exactly a CraneORing does, and how it helps??

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    You can get them from Grant at www.GandRtactical.com they multiply the pressure applied by the extractor spring.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score

agree

Well the first post was right, there are some BS forums for sure.Heck, I just posted an experience on another forum and got chewed alive and burnt at the stake! Theres always a tough basturd somewhere who thinks he is anyhow.But that big talk doesnt mean doodly-squat to me, but I do like being among more rational folks.Hell, I am a corrections officer, I get enough of that Know-it-all crap from them.I want to relax on a forum.Thanks fellers, you rock!!!

Feedback Score
    Ken Elmore is the guy when it comes to building reliable LE6920's (actually all Colts). My agency buys all of our guns from Ken, and he isn't the cheapest guy in town. Our guns have been truely phenomenal as far as reliability goes.
    "Cpl ##### is condescending and abrassive towards coworks who don't follow directions" my favorite evaluation quote........if I'm like that at work, you should see me on the internet .

"Even if I order you to trim your mustache, you're going to totally ignore me, huh".-another favorite supervisor "discussion".

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Three things...

Add the Crane O-ring and get a spare factory bolt. (Whose factory is your choice.)

If you want to learn to operate it reliably, take Dean Caputo's M16/AR15 Operator Diagnostics Class. I took this class along with my two oldest children. You will never spend money better on your carbine. (ETA: This modifies your brain, not the carbine.)

Many can attest to Ken Elmore's Reliabilty Package. I suggest taking Dean's class first, though.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorhunter
    I have heard of some who have sent their Colt to a gentleman named Ken at SAW (Specialized Armament ?) for his reliability package. Apparently it costs about $150-$200, and I have not yet logged on to his website to see what this pkg consists of. I will do this soon however.
    Last time I checked SAW keeps some of their reliability package a secret to protect their corner on that market.
    1. Optic -BEST I can afford. Still not sure what to do here. WISH I could afford a Short Dot, but have heard the Nightforce 1-4x is a good choice too.???
    I'd stick with an Aimpoint ML3 in a Larue mount, unless you have a strong astygmatism (I do) in which case I'd use a 1.5x Compact ACOG in a Larue mount.
    2. Sling - STill not sure if I need a 2 or 3 point for general use???
    2 point, and use either the Blue Force Gear Vickers or the VTAC Larue.
    3. BUIS's -Possibly Troy brand...
    Can't really go wrong there
    4. Possibly a vertical grip from TangoDown or Magpul.... or ???
    TD would work well.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast