Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pandemic Preparations

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Pandemic Preparations

Does anyone have any plans for something like a flu pandemic? Given the news coming out of Mexico this week that is something I guess I need to put in the old hopper and see what ideas come out.

Obviously the standard stuff like food and water etc. But how would the potential impact of not being able to get into any contact with other people change things?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you watch the way Mexico is dealing with it (canceling schools/soccer games ext), you can pretty much garner that a pandemic of this sort would be a shelter in place situation. IE minimize all contact by staying home.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Our plan is to store enough provisions so we can stay in the house, off the grid, for a few months. Consult your favorite resource on how to prepare for that.

I doubt an outbreak would happen neatly such that one day you were safe to mingle with society and the next you'd be convinced to quarantine yourself. There will probably be days or weeks of being scared to go out, but society still expecting you to: jobs, schools, traffic court, etc. To help prepare for this, we plan to designate one family member -- probably me -- to be the one to venture outside the home if needed. That person will then live in a separate part of the house that doesn't share ventilation with the rest and has its own provisions. After returning from outside, interaction with the family would be avoided until the incubation period is well past or, in an emergency, using masks, gloves, clothing decontamination, and extreme care to avoid contaminating the "clean" part of the house.

The ability to work from home will be a great asset during the early stages. This is one case where being a software geek is of benefit to me. The hard part for us will be deciding when to pull the kids from school. I'm sure we'll do it sooner than most people would, but I admit I don't want to look like a loon if it's a false alarm.

Speaking of being a loon, I doubt that I will trust any announcements coming from the government during such a crisis. I was considering looking into shortwave or ham radio to provide alternate communication. Is this worthwhile?

Caveat: I have no training in epidemic preparations or any area of health. These are my own ideas -- probably inadequate.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Everyone above's on the same page I'm on.

Don't get the mail, stay in the house, have plenty of food on hand, and hunker down.

Pandemic flu is the ultimate Bug-In scenario.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my job and my mortgage ain't worth losin' my life over. I'll be taking an "extended vacation" at Le Chateau de Landlord.

Stockpile food, now.

Store what you eat, and eat what you store. You don't have to do Mountain House and MREs; canned goods, in a cool storeroom can keep for a good bit of time.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=27223&page=2

Feedback Score
    My plan is to stay in. Should be mostly set for that, especially during the summer. I can work from home if need be.

This bug appears to be killing ~7% of people in Mexico (although numbers may be incorrect.) The 1918 outbreak killed 2.5%.
    Deeds, not words.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you're worried about a flu pandemic in the US there are a couple basic precautions to take:

1) Wash your hands FREQUENTLY! Believe it or not, hand washing with soap and warm water is the single most effective way to avoid becoming sick. Wash for at least 30 seconds.

2) Go to the drug store and purchase a box of face masks, preferably the N-95 particulate type. They are medical grade, and work well against flu, TB, etc. We carry these on all ambulances in my county.

3) Eat well and stay healthy. The body's immune system is a great defense against disease, but it needs a healthy body to keep it operating at an optimum level.

4) Get a flu shot. True, they may not guess the right strain to vaccinate against, but something is better than nothing. Also, stay up-to-date on all your other vaccinations and titers like MMR, Hep-B, etc. Any infectious disease or "travel clinic" will be able to offer a wide range of immunization options. As always, make sure you talk to your doctor first.

*Disclaimer*: None of the above is offered as medical advice under license. I am simply pointing out what I would do in a similar situation.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've got disinfectant spray, hand sanitizer and antibacterial hand/body soap all stocked in with the preps. Also have plenty of latex/non-latex gloves in there also.

Masks of the 95 or 99 type are really nice to have.

Vitamin C and zinc tablets for your immune health. Eating well and keeping hydrated are a must.

I'm a bit of a germaphobe to begin with but I try hard to limit hand contact with my eyes and nose. Especially important when your trying to aviod a potentially deadly virus.

Try to make a routine of wiping down high contact areas with disinfectant. Door handles, light switches, fridge handle, toilet handle, etc...

Oh.......and STAY THE HELL OUT OF HOT TUBS.......

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    these guys seem to have the best price for N95 8200 masks at $8.82 is you order more than 6 packs/20 each.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...espirator.html

You can find 3M N95 8000's cheaper but I don't like how the straps connect to the masks.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    In 2005, the big topic on many preparedness web sites was Bird Flu (H5N1). Alot of comparisons and references were made to the Spanish Flu of 1918.

A world wide pandemic could make more than one "wave" around the world, with mutations within each wave. If I remember correctly, the 1918 Spanish flu consisted of three waves with about 6 months between each wave?

My plans and preparations at that time, and currently, is to shelter in place if necessary. Until then, limit contact with crowds as much as possible.

As the issue progresses from isolated cases, to regional areas affected, to pandemic, so will my personal response to the crisis. From limiting contact with crowds, to limiting contact with people, to sheltering in place.

Keep in mind, that unlike the world of 1918, with today's era of mass transit, a pandemic could spread very quickly.

Currently, I am watching the issue, and adding some more food to the pile.

The only additional preparations I have made above and beyond normal is to have on hand some N95 masks and rubber gloves, and alot of hand soap.

In the event of a large scale pandemic, you might find that medical facilities are overwhelmed to the point that non critical cases are treated at home. In this case, think of what you want on hand to treat your loved ones at home.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast