Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pandemic Preparations

Feedback Score
    I'm not trying to horn in on ya'll but I am a NC fella too and a backpacking trip with fellow gun enthusiast's who have something interesting to say appeals to me also. My usual hiking buddies are not very AR friendly and my 2 toddlers are not great hikers yet.

Maybe we can bring the M4's and hit one of the national forests south of Blowing Rock. God's Country. I went to ASU in Boone and know that area pretty well. If you guys ever get to together for a weekender, let me know.

Feedback Score
    'Pandemic' does not mean what most people think it means. It does not mean 'this is a dinosaur killer event.' It means:

- emergence of a disease new to a given population, e.g. syphilis in a convent
    - agents infect humans, causing serious illness, e.g. whooping cough
    - agents spread easily and sustainably among humans, e.g. impetigo

Cancer is not pandemic because it is not infectious. HIV is not pandemic because it is not easily spread save by spreading your legs. Whooping cough is not because it is not breaking out in new populations, only in those where it was previously present but have had a drop in vaccination rates. Impetigo is not a pandemic because it is not serious.

Mexican Flu has been declared a pandemic because it meets the above criteria, and triggers accelerated production of vaccines. BFD. It's no more dangerous than 'regular' flu, although middle age adults catch it a bit easier than the usual stuff.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RESQDOC View Post
    'Pandemic' does not mean what most people think it means. It does not mean 'this is a dinosaur killer event.' It means:

- emergence of a disease new to a given population, e.g. syphilis in a convent
    - agents infect humans, causing serious illness, e.g. whooping cough
    - agents spread easily and sustainably among humans, e.g. impetigo

Cancer is not pandemic because it is not infectious. HIV is not pandemic because it is not easily spread save by spreading your legs. Whooping cough is not because it is not breaking out in new populations, only in those where it was previously present but have had a drop in vaccination rates. Impetigo is not a pandemic because it is not serious.

Mexican Flu has been declared a pandemic because it meets the above criteria, and triggers accelerated production of vaccines. BFD. It's no more dangerous than 'regular' flu, although middle age adults catch it a bit easier than the usual stuff.
    Now there you go... using common sense and basic facts to make a point.

How DARE you sir?

PS. If you're worried about global pandemics, move to northern latitudes. Deaths from disease were far less in the New England Colonies than the Southern Colonies...of course you might freeze to death.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RESQDOC View Post
    Boy, RESQDOC will never get a job in the MSM, with all that logic, calm deliberate conveyance of information backed up by intelligence. Where's the fun in that?

Try this:

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE, IT'S THE WORST THING EVER THERE'S NO HOPE FOR ANYONE....THIS IS THE BIG ONE ELIZABETH!!! Tune in at 8 for the full details.

HA!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Definition of flu pandemic from Dr. Keiji Fukuda of WHO, Asst. Director for Health Security: A pandemic is a global outbreak, seeing both the spread of the agent, and disease activities, to most parts of the world. who.int/mediacentre/influenza

Bantam medical dictionary-an epidemic so wide spread that vast numbers of people in different countries are affected.

RESQDOC- When the thread was started the flu "outbreak" had just begun. The mortality rates were unknown. The general public, like M4, were simply trying to think about precautions that could be taken. Your post date of 6-17 was almost 2 months after the original postings. Conclusions, speculation, preparations, at that time are obviously going to be different than conclusions drawn today. Hindsight....

Thanks to my wife the OB/GYN surgeon for the definitions.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234