Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Game Hunting AR's

Feedback Score
    If you like the 6.5mm caliber for big game, check into the 6.5 Grendel, which is designed for hunting with your AR15-style rifle.

Below is a photo of Mark LaRue of LaRue Tactical and his bull elk, taken at 405 yards with a 6.5 Grendel 120 Barnes TSX from a 20" rifle.

John
    "The matter is summed up for every person alive: Either submit, or live under the suzerainty of Islam, or die." — Osama bin Laden

Feedback Score
    Anyone played with the Larue 7.62?

Feedback Score
    I tend to hunt (Elk, Bear, Moose) at relatively shorter distances...I chose .458SOCOM after many months of research (was also considering .50 Beowulf, didn't consider .450 BM as it was a) made only by Bushmaster/Hornady and b) only 1 loading available: a light 250g option).

Here is why I personally chose .458SOCOM:
    MOA at 100 yards (both)
    Degradation past 100yards (both: didn't bother me)
    Serious velocity & energy/take down (both: .458 has an edge, similar ballistics to 45-70: 1,100 - 2,000 fps / 2,400 ft lbs +/- depending on load)
    Use standard AR lower (both)
    Multiple upper manufacture options (.458)
    Use Standard AR Mags, no mods (.458 only, 30 round .556 mag will hold 10 rounds)
    Variety of ammo & bullets for hand-loading (.458 has big edge: 87 - 600 grain)
    .458 uses rifle bullets /.50 Beowulf uses pistol

I chose a factory Rock River as it offered the best warranty and was quite reasonably priced (as opposed to my .556 Noveske obsessions as of late).

Ammo is pricey, but there are a few really solid factory loads: Corbon and SBR. This is an upper you will sight in and only shot when you need to: kicks more than a 12 gauge and you can spend up to $10 per round (Tungsten 600g). By my count, there are 12 factory load options currently available. They sell direct and at Midway USA & Graf & Sons as well. There are also a plethora of reloading options for .458 (straight casing (relative to Beowulf) make this easier as well.

Hope this helps...

IMHO, it'll take any critter in the America's, some claim to have taken Elephant, CApe Buffalo and Rhino with them as well (can't speak to that - yet). Oh yeah, and it will do a number on a car/truck or other human subject as well...

For longer range work, I am personally looking at the 6.5 Grendel. Shoots flatter than .308 and similar ballistics, albeit lighter: 123g Lapua Scenar will peak at 2,550fps / 1,650 ft lbs, @ 100 yards and shoot to 1200 yards.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My preference is same as mpardun plus:

.458 upper, brass and rounds won't be confused with 5.56. I was considering 6.8, but then thought about having two sets of mags that look very similar, two sets of brass and rounds that look similar. There is no confusing the .458 with 5.56.

I will be hunting deer, bear and boar.

Feedback Score
    I personaly am leaning towards an AR 10 in .300 WSM. So far, the only place I know of that makes those is Accuracy Systems but I am sure there are more. I just want an AR 10 to match my 700.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12