Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To rail or not to rail..

Feedback Score

To rail or not to rail..

IF, you were to have 1, and only 1, 1911.... would you have it with a rail or without?
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    All my 1911's are Colt, so I guess I'm in the no rail camp.
    "Cpl ##### is condescending and abrassive towards coworks who don't follow directions" my favorite evaluation quote........if I'm like that at work, you should see me on the internet .

"Even if I order you to trim your mustache, you're going to totally ignore me, huh".-another favorite supervisor "discussion".

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Call me old school, but I'd go without. There are still plenty of solid techniques for employing an unmounted light, when necessary. A rail adds options, but it also adds bulk and carry complications.

Chief

Feedback Score
    Without.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Sans rail.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Wow. Pretty unanimous so far. Didnt expect that.
    Protego quod vallo.
    Si vis pacem para bellum.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    IF, you were to have 1, and only 1, 1911.... would you have it with a rail or without?
    These days? I would probably go for a railed one.

If I was going to purchase a 1911 that you can find on gunstore shelves these days, it would most likely be the Kimber Warrior.

As far as I can tell it is the best production 1911 on the market right now. Even if you want it tweaked, it is reputed to be a superb platform for tweaking. The custom makers can probably use one of the Caspian rail equipped frames to make you a pistol, or they could install an after market rail like the Dawson Precision rail...

As far as the rail itself goes, these days my argument would be "Why not?" We are only going to see better and better LED handgun-mounted lights like the Surefire X200 in the future. And when using a handgun, it is certainly easier to have the light mounted to the actual weapon than to be restricted solely to the use of a separate light. Doing a reload with a flashlight in your support hand is no fun, as is malfunction clearance, etc.

It does add a bit of bulk, but holster makers these days are making good holsters that will work with railed and light mounted weapons.

Feedback Score
    I'd get(got) the little rail so it still fits in regular holsters.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would go with no rail as well, if I ONLY had one 1911. Personally I think I need at least 3 though, so one of them will wind up with a rail.

If I was only going to have one, and it HAD to have the rail, it would be the Dawson.

Feedback Score
    Well, I answered in the pic thread too but I suppose that was off topic. Anyways, I like having the option, but I would go with the Dawson for 2 reasons- you can still use most standard holsters and it does not ruin the beautiful lines of the 1911 like integral ones. Oh yeah, it's usually cheaper too so there's 3 reasons

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast