Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 Gauge Buckshot and Slugs...

Feedback Score

12 Gauge Buckshot and Slugs...

People,

I did some informal testing with a couple of different 12 gauge 00 buckshot loads a while back (patterning, mostly), and then I just did some informal penetration testing with a couple of different slugs this past weekend (firing them through square aluminum metal tubing, aircraft aluminum plate metal, a steel automobile wheel and a car door). I am preparing to post pictures on this thread, as long as 'Photobucket' will work for me.

Does anyone have gelatin penetration data for different 12 gauge 00 buck or slug loads besides some of the older data that has been out for a while? I would also be interested in data for some of the ruduced recoil loads in both buckshot and slugs as well. My recent testing has me doing some more 'thinking' again...

Feedback Score
    PM out to you on this.

WD
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor

Aimpoint USA ProStaff

www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Appreciate the data... keep it coming, folks!!!

You can never have too much GOOD data...

Feedback Score
    Wayne... did you send the FBI data? If not, I have it on a flash drive at home and can send tomorrow.

DrJSW

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    PM sent

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I am betting that your testing, like mine, dispelled a lot of the myth that buckshot and slugs (excluding Breneke, etc.) are great penetrators of cover. I have found OO buckshot penetration to be inferior to almost any handgun round tested by me from 9mm 147gr to .45ACP JHP's in hard targets.

Feedback Score
    Well...the hard target penetration of 00 buckshot may be lacking, but the soft target penetration is past excellent. While shotguns and buckshot have been overwhelmed by the AR revolution, they remain extremely effective on human targets.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor

Aimpoint USA ProStaff

www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I am betting that your testing, like mine, dispelled a lot of the myth that buckshot and slugs (excluding Breneke, etc.) are great penetrators of cover. I have found OO buckshot penetration to be inferior to almost any handgun round tested by me from 9mm 147gr to .45ACP JHP's in hard targets.
    And that makes perfect sense intuitively. Buckshot consists of projectiles that are smaller and lighter than a pistol bullet, have lower sectional density, and generally do not have a durable metal jacket around them. They are moving at roughly the same speed (perhaps slightly faster) as a pistol bullet so that factor is a wash.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrowne1 View Post
    And that makes perfect sense intuitively. Buckshot consists of projectiles that are smaller and lighter than a pistol bullet, have lower sectional density, and generally do not have a durable metal jacket around them. They are moving at roughly the same speed (perhaps slightly faster) as a pistol bullet so that factor is a wash.
    I just wish the AR guys grasped that one. I have put a 5.56 55gr FMJ through about 5x as much pine board as a OO buck pellet. The OO Buck load is a great indoor load imho.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock17JHP View Post
    People,

I did some informal testing with a couple of different 12 gauge 00 buckshot loads a while back (patterning, mostly), and then I just did some informal penetration testing with a couple of different slugs this past weekend (firing them through square aluminum metal tubing, aircraft aluminum plate metal, a steel automobile wheel and a car door). I am preparing to post pictures on this thread, as long as 'Photobucket' will work for me.

Does anyone have gelatin penetration data for different 12 gauge 00 buck or slug loads besides some of the older data that has been out for a while? I would also be interested in data for some of the ruduced recoil loads in both buckshot and slugs as well. My recent testing has me doing some more 'thinking' again...
    Pics of various shot/buck/slug into Gel

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...p?f=7&t=109958

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast