Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bug Out Vehicle

Feedback Score

Bug Out Vehicle

Ok, I am debating, when I do this it usually lasts months before I make the decision because I weigh all options and try to think everything out...

My plan is to get a vehicle to pull my camper and can load my family up comfortably and go if need be, so im thinking an SUV will be the best bet, i have a pickup now and I can load everything i need but its not the most comfortable for long road trips.

I am considering a Hummer H2, I have the funds and I am aware of the gas mileage, but I will build it for the ultimate BOV something like Resident Evil Extinction , I guess im just looking for feedback from others, my wife is down with the idea of a BOV but i cant decide what yet...Help Please!!
    Last edited by bobby.lamberth; 04-30-09 at 23:21.
    No GOOD Military Decision Has Ever Been Made From A Swivel Chair

Feedback Score

Diesel

as far as a BOV would go I say it has to be diesel. its a far superior engine and can run on pretty much anything with a flash point lower than its own melting point. like auto trans fluid, veg oil, clean diesel, dirty diesel, p-nut oil, blah blah blah. look into it I am saving to get a reactor and making my own bio diesel, its a lot easier than most people think and its cheap too.
    as far as making an H2 look like one you see in movies, take it from someone in the film industry most of what you see is for looks not for use. take batman's tumbler for example. there were quite a few of them and each one had a specific purpose, one to jump, one to make turns, one to see inside of, one to get in and out of and so on.
    anyway just my input
    oh yea its easier to burn other fuels in older diesels because they dont have so many computer controllers, and if you are interested in bio diesel search for the fuelmeister 2.
    love to see some pics of your BOV when you finish.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    jeep oh and downgrade to a fold out camper.
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt
    I carry a gun cuz cops are too heavy!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    BOV Food for thought.

Use/reasons for BOV

Ease of obtaining fuel for it, IE: If a nat disaster has come on and no fuel available for while on the run. Ease of obtaining more and what might be easily available legal or otherwise. (Borrowing)

Usefulness for if the towed vehicle has to be abandoned and BOV used alone.

Fuel millage, for if little or no extra fuel available.

Color of BOV, easy to spot/draw attention or not.

Both BOV and TV, size to go wherever. LXHXW, 4X4 etc.

No Onstar or some sort of GPS for Govt to find and disable for you?

Size of family.

Ease and knowledge of working on if a break down.

It all depends on what YOU want out of your BOV.

Let us know what you decide and the reasons for it. There might be others with your idea too, that would like to know.
    Last edited by Gramps; 05-01-09 at 01:45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    EMP proof perhaps? as in a KISS type BOV.
    Last edited by Hayduke; 05-01-09 at 01:39.
    ===========================================================
    Alcohol, Tobacco And Firearms Should Be A Convenience Store, NOT A Gov't Agency.

Feedback Score
    dodge 3500 longbed with a cummins. /thread

my dad just bought one and that truck gives me the impression it will go anywhere, kinda makes me wish the shtf so we can go rough it up a little and not feel bad about it lol.

ill be buying one as soon as funds permit... probably a couple years down the road after college.

we have the new 6.7L cummins, its been good thus far but, i think if you want a more proven design, go with the 5.9L and the manual 6 speed tranny. and dont forget to rip out all that panzy emissions shit and add a tuner ship. we went with a bully dog.

Feedback Score
    All good advice, I appreciate it, like I said, I wil debate for months before I make a decision but i will have pictures in my picture album when I start working on it...its a curse that I cant drive astock vehicle, every vehicle I get I have to customize it somehow or another...
    Gramps-awesome comment about onstar, I cant stop laughing, and its true, when I was in training we had a guy go AWOL and I just happened to have a truck with onstar and knew his did as well so we called and found him, that was a bad night, and a stupid reason for him to get Article 92 Punishment, I guess they have to make an example of someone somehow...
    Country Devil-i understand the difference about movies and how they are built for looks, I was just using that example but sood point for people who might believe anything they see on a movie...
    tinman44-I actually had a jeep and a fold out camper, I would love to have another, but a jeep just isnt as comfortable for the family as I would like...if it were just me and the wife, a jeep wrangler TJ with a supercharged 4.0L would be the only way to go haha. As for the fold out camper its nowhere near as rugged and stong as I would like, if Shit Hits The Fan im talking reinforced floors. walls, windows, doubled axles, runflats, the whole works...even under the bed I have plans to build a weapons safe...
    thanks again for all you guy's support on this, and keep it coming im a big boy I can take the constructive criticism haha
    No GOOD Military Decision Has Ever Been Made From A Swivel Chair

Feedback Score
    Idea for small BOV
    Jeep Liberty Diesel. 28 MPG good fuel availablity. Fairly simple for a diesel mech to work on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...fCarsQ5fTrucks

NOthing to do with the auction, just to show you what I am talking about.
    Last edited by Nathan_Bell; 05-01-09 at 14:35. Reason: added ebay link

Feedback Score
    I've always eyed Jeep cherokee XJ's. 4 door suv, cheap, capable, long life motor, did i mention cheap? also can tow 2x a wrangler (leaf spring, bigger axle in rear), granted 5k isn't a lot.

Downsides, will miss the roominess of my super duty, wish it had a mech injection diesel

an older 6.5 chebby would also be an option, but the smaller/lighter xj might fit the bill better (ever tried to stay on a trail in a full size truck )

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Deleted.
    Last edited by NoBody; 05-04-09 at 07:54.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast