Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bug Out Vehicle

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Toyota Land Cruiser is worth a look

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBody View Post
    Just keep in mind that gasoline is more plentiful than diesel fuel in a disaster (unless you're around the military or airport). You should better define what scenario you envision needing a BOV. Otherwise, it seems like a solution in search of a problem. Define the problem first and then seek the solution.
    Perhaps in urban areas, but most interstate fuel stops have 3-5 as many gallons of diesel on hand than gasoline. Farmers also tend to have 200-700 gallons o it on hand as well.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    Toyota Land Cruiser is worth a look
    An early to mid 90's FZJ-80 would be an awesome choice if you could find one. Solid axles (some with front/rear locking diffs), bulletproof straight-6, large enough to carry a pretty good load/multiple people but compact enough for trails.

Good call.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    H2's a piece of shit, stick with the H1 for real capability, not shiny chrome rapper looks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dhrith View Post
    H2's a piece of shit, stick with the H1 for real capability, not shiny chrome rapper looks.
    I was about to say the EXACT same thing.

When you do get one PLEASE don't get some foreign POS. An American car may cost more but at least the money isn't going to japan.
    Last edited by Puffy93; 05-01-09 at 16:59.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Goodtimes View Post
    dodge 3500 longbed with a cummins. /thread

my dad just bought one and that truck gives me the impression it will go anywhere, kinda makes me wish the shtf so we can go rough it up a little and not feel bad about it lol.

ill be buying one as soon as funds permit... probably a couple years down the road after college.

we have the new 6.7L cummins, its been good thus far but, i think if you want a more proven design, go with the 5.9L and the manual 6 speed tranny. and dont forget to rip out all that panzy emissions shit and add a tuner ship. we went with a bully dog.
    I've got similar thoughts . . . only going 2000-2003 F-250/F-350 SRW Crew Cab/Long Bed 4x4 with a 7.3 PSD with some extra fuel tanks instead of the Dodge. I figure I'll be able to swing one in a year or two. With the tank setup I'm looking at, I could get from my current locale to home (1200 Miles away) with 200 +/- to spare and not have to fuel. There would also be a couple other neccessary modifications . . . but that's just the engineer in me that can't leave well enough alone.

Hopefully, it'll probably be the last vehicle I have to buy for a long time.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffy93 View Post
    When you do get one PLEASE don't get some foreign POS. An American car may cost more but at least the money isn't going to japan.

Buying a vehicle for consideration as a BOV means that more is at stake than just how cool it looks or how many cupholders it has. Just as when you choose a firearm for defensive purposes, quality, reliablility, and capability are top priority. Your or your family's life could depend on it.
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Bug Out Vechicle

My BOV is a 1972 Ford F250 4X4 pu w/300ci 6cyl, gear driven transfer case, no chains, bullet proof ltd slip front and rear, no electronic ignition, 4sp manual trans
    factory aux gas tank, Mountainair cab flush aluminum camper shell w/homemade
    roof rack mandrel bent and tig welded, heavy diamond wire pan to hold all manner of things, latches welded to tube for shovel, ax, jack, ect. Bumper winch, gas and water can racks. 5th wheel tool box in camper , portable generator, air compressor, Ham
    radio. Looking into foaming tires like military , available from Gempers catalog.
    Basically an ongoing project, as I like to expolre back country AZ.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhrith View Post
    You think an H1 isn't a shiny POS? An H1 is not a Humvee.

My BOV of choice? A horse.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby.lamberth View Post
    Ok, I am debating, when I do this it usually lasts months before I make the decision because I weigh all options and try to think everything out...

My plan is to get a vehicle to pull my camper and can load my family up comfortably and go if need be, so im thinking an SUV will be the best bet, i have a pickup now and I can load everything i need but its not the most comfortable for long road trips.

I am considering a Hummer H2, I have the funds and I am aware of the gas mileage, but I will build it for the ultimate BOV something like Resident Evil Extinction , I guess im just looking for feedback from others, my wife is down with the idea of a BOV but i cant decide what yet...Help Please!!
    Be careful. Before you know it you'll end up with a minivan with soccer and honor student stickers all over the back. Women are very sneaky.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast