Thread: Help me decide on Radio/GPS

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Help me decide on Radio/GPS

so I first considered this option
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146&pID=8523
    but after literally years of research I am still undecided. I believe this option would be most benificial if it was cheaper and I could afford multiples. Though money is not a real big issue as this will be something I'll save up for, I really want a gps I can load sim cards to switch between streets or topo maps. Maybe a radio that couldnt be jammed so easily. So should I look at a gps option, then a radio option. Combo's dont always work out. I've even looked into ham radios but they arent cheap or easy. I know in a SHTF scenario these could both turn out to be useless, though I believe satellites and radio waves are here to stay at least for awhile. I'll use this for camping and such though want it for a scenario. I have some compass nav skills (though rusty) so my compass is the backup.
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt
    I carry a gun cuz cops are too heavy!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman44 View Post
    I've even looked into ham radios but they arent cheap or easy.
    Tinman,

Don't sell yourself short as far as amateur, (ham) radios. The technician test, (license class necessary to get talking on the air) is extremely easy. Even the general class test isn't that hard, (heck I passed it).

Pick yourself up a study guide for the technician license, do a little reading. Take some practice tests HERE and when you are hitting 85-90% go and take the test.

As to the expense of ham radio, look at used equipment. Ebay usually has some good deals on stuff that is a generation or two old. Hams are always chasing after some new gadget or shiny bit just like us gun people and are off loading perfectly good gear for cheap. An even cheaper alternative is to google up your local amateur radio club and start attending meetings. When the locals find out you are interested I am sure more someone there is going to have some used gear that they want to unload.

And with regard to GPS systems, one name. Garmin. You won't be disappointed. Fantastic equipment, great customer service, good company to do business with.

Semper Fi

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    +2 for Garmin
    http://www.pilotshop.com/garmin-gpsm...Fc4TzAod0yR_6A

This absolutely kicks all the ass you're ever likely to need.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    these options are almost an overkill, though the one i linked i feel may not be good enough. any other suggestions?
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt
    I carry a gun cuz cops are too heavy!

Feedback Score
    Another vote for Garmin... having used a slew of different systems, all my personal GPS systems and my only recommendation is Garmin.

That out of the way, I am not a fan of integrated units, they are nice, but I would opt for dedicated units first -- Most people find out that the GPS they buy is capable of doing many things that they never use, learn to use, or would use if they could.

My concerns for a handheld are:

1. Rugged and reliable.
    2. Battery Life.
    3. Features beyond simply displaying a position.

Keep in mind, that in the wilderness, a GPS will not route you (not nearly as well as learning to read a map anyway) -- hone your map and compass skills, and use a good little handheld to verify.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...