Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Why the Benelli M4 (or M1014, depending...) Hate?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdain View Post
    I checked the BenelliUSA forums for a while tonight. All I found was a bunch of people asking the same question I did. Has anyone actually had it happen to them, or just anecdotal accounts of someone heard from someone who heard?

The closest thing I found was someone who said he remebered hearing about it when the rails first came out, but nothing since.

Based on my experience, and personal observation of numerous Surefire rail equiped M4's, I stand by my recommendation.
    I ordered a Surefire Rail system for my M4 and it never would fit. Way too tight. I had to return it.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I ordered a Surefire Rail system for my M4 and it never would fit. Way too tight. I had to return it.
    Pat
    You ever look into those solid steel Monolit slugs? For bears and whatnot? I bought some and they seem plenty hot, but not dangerously so or anything. I don't have bears, though, so Remington Fosters are what I pick in the 1oz 2.75" variety. They don't frag like the "high velocity" type fosters do, but they still deform plenty.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    You ever look into those solid steel Monolit slugs? For bears and whatnot? I bought some and they seem plenty hot, but not dangerously so or anything. I don't have bears, though, so Remington Fosters are what I pick in the 1oz 2.75" variety. They don't frag like the "high velocity" type fosters do, but they still deform plenty.
    We are happy with Breneke slugs they penetrate bears through and through usually.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Can someone with an Aimpoint T-1 or H-1 please mount it directly to the Benelli rail (or Sidearmor/Carriercomp rail) without the use of a LaRue (or other) riser and let me know if the iron sights are visible through the tube? I'd like to know if you can co-witness the irons or not. Can't find any definitive info. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I have a H-1 on a M4 with a sidearmor V2 top rail. H-1 mount is the low LaRue one. You cannot cowitness, although the front sight is visible through the optic (rear sight way too low to cowitness). If my optic fails, I have to QD remove it or point shoot.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I put a T1 clone on my Benelli M4 and found that the stock was way to low for a proper cheek weld. I had to build the stock up. With a improvised cheek rest. The optic was more or a hinderance than a help until I did this as I was looking under the optic when I brought the gun up quickly.
    Pat
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Thank y'all. Sounds like a quality throw lever mount (like the LaRue) is the way to go so that it can be removed relatively quickly in the event of a failure. Regarding the cheek weld, it will be nice once the Mesa Urbino with cheek riser is finally out, whenever that winds up being.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Its been a wild decade and a half, nearly, since I posted this thread.

During that time, I lost interest in the Benelli M4. It was long. Cumbersome. There really wasnt a good way to mount a light. Putting an optic on it had plusses and minuses regarding height of the optic, cheek weld, etc. The whole thing just didnt go together cohesively enough for my taste, and I went over to 5.56 guns predominantly.

Then I moved out into the woods. The longest shot terrain allows is around 100 yards, and Ive yet to shoot a deer at over 75. I looked into the state of affiars with the Benelli M4 again in 2018 or so. 14" C stock models were available. Scalarworks had a slick mount that replaced the rail and slapped a T2 in an iron-sight co-witnessed position. It worked well with medium (upper 1/3 window) and fully extended (lower 1/3 window) positions of the stock. Impact Weapon Components had come out with a very ergonomic scout light compatible mount. In short, literally every complaint I had had...was handily addressed.

So I bought one. An 11724 model. 14" barrel, 3-position C stock equipped model. I slapped an m600v on it in the IWC mount, at 11, an aimpoint Micro on the scalarworks "rail", and run an Ed Sherman sling. Its an absolute hammer at 0-100 yards. I run the C stock at the mid (12.25" LOP) distance for daytime and white light use at night. Interestingly, due to the shape of the stock and long 14.25" LOP fully extended, passive aiming with the M4 is very intuitive, even using a pvs14! I have somce bought RNVGs to make this even easier.

Capacity, high precision low percentage shots, and long distance engagements remain troublesome for this platform, but otherwise, I have developed a strong affinity and appreciation for it. The one thing that has not changed is how Jack Leuba still gives me shit for my strange love affair with the gauge. :P
    Last edited by WS6; 12-11-21 at 05:34.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Its been a wild decade and a half, nearly, since I posted this thread.

During that time, I lost interest in the Benelli M4. It was long. Cumbersome. There really wasnt a good way to mount a light. Putting an optic on it had plusses and minuses regarding height of the optic, cheek weld, etc. The whole thing just didnt go together cohesively enough for my taste, and I went over to 5.56 guns predominantly.

Then I moved out into the woods. The longest shot terrain allows is around 100 yards, and Ive yet to shoot a deer at over 75. I looked into the state of affiars with the Benelli M4 again in 2018 or so. 14" C stock models were available. Scalarworks had a slick mount that replaced the rail and slapped a T2 in an iron-sight co-witnessed position. It worked well with medium (upper 1/3 window) and fully extended (lower 1/3 window) positions of the stock. Impact Weapon Components had come out with a very ergonomic scout light compatible mount. In short, literally every complaint I had had...was handily addressed.

So I bought one. An 11724 model. 14" barrel, 3-position C stock equipped model. I slapped an m600v on it in the IWC mount, at 11, an aimpoint Micro on the scalarworks "rail", and run an Ed Sherman sling. Its an absolute hammer at 0-100 yards. I run the C stock at the mid (12.25" LOP) distance for daytime and white light use at night. Interestingly, due to the shape of the stock and long 14.25" LOP fully extended, passive aiming with the M4 is very intuitive, even using a pvs14! I have somce bought RNVGs to make this even easier.

Capacity, high precision low percentage shots, and long distance engagements remain troublesome for this platform, but otherwise, I have developed a strong affinity and appreciation for it. The one thing that has not changed is how Jack Leuba still gives me shit for my strange love affair with the gauge. :P
    Wow, I have a 14" M4 but had no idea about the Scalarworks and IWC mounts. Thanks for the post, I'll have to try to pick those up!

On a side note, is your 14" barrel threaded for chokes? My factory Benelli 14" barrel is not. Just curious if that's changed.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AggiePhil View Post
    Wow, I have a 14" M4 but had no idea about the Scalarworks and IWC mounts. Thanks for the post, I'll have to try to pick those up!

On a side note, is your 14" barrel threaded for chokes? My factory Benelli 14" barrel is not. Just curious if that's changed.
    No, 14" barrel guns are imported as 19.75" barrel guns with the FS welded back. The barrels are cut to 14" stateside after clearing customs. They are very cleanly cut, lightly bevelled, refinished, but not threaded.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast