Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DPMS Barrels?

Feedback Score

DPMS Barrels?

While waiting for my RRA uppers, I'm thinking of assembling my own. I was thinking of picking up one of the BCM upper receivers and using a DPMS Kitty Kat barrel. I haven't been able to find much infoon the DPMS barrels and am wondering if they are okay to work with (especially for someone putting together their first upper). Is much tuning needed? My primary concern is that the DPMS barrels are the only ones I've found in stock, so I'm wondering if there's a reason for that. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    I had a Kitty Kat on one of my SBR's for a while and it ran fine with M193. The muzzle blast was painful and it's almost useless for anything other than plinking due to the low velocity...but it was a fun toy for a while.

Just be sure you only use it on a pistol lower or a registered SBR to avoid a felony.

Feedback Score
    Yeah. I have 2 lowers built. Both are set up as pistols, but I am going to be submitting the paperwork to SBR one of them in the next couple of weeks. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't be a complete waste of money.

Feedback Score
    I should have mentioned that I had the chamber on mine reamed to 5.56 before I ever fired it. I don't know if it would have been as reliable had I not.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    of all inconsistently chambered barrels, DPMS seems to be one of the most consistently inconconsistent.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    of all inconsistently chambered barrels, DPMS seems to be one of the most consistently inconconsistent.
    That's reassuring! Is it that they aren't properly chambered for the indicated chambering, are the barrels unmarked and randomly .223 or 5.56, or are the tolerances just generally shitty?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LMarshall73 View Post
    Is it that they aren't properly chambered for the indicated chambering, are the barrels unmarked and randomly .223 or 5.56, or are the tolerances just generally shitty?
    Yes.

But reaming is cheap.
    Last edited by DRich; 05-06-09 at 11:46.

Feedback Score
    Fan-freaking-tastic!! I guess that explains why those are the only pistol barrels I can find.

Did DPMS's quality control start slipping recently? It seems like several years ago they were one of the more popular manufacturers.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Fan-freaking-tastic!! I guess that explains why those are the only pistol barrels I can find.

Did DPMS's quality control start slipping recently? It seems like several years ago they were one of the more popular manufacturers.
    they still are really popular... thats the sad part

Feedback Score
    Their quality has always been spotty and they've always been popular. Low price will win popularity contests most of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast