Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern Marvels

Feedback Score

Modern Marvels

I'm sure everyone has seen it but "Modern Marvels: The M16 Assault Rifle" is currently on Youtube for your viewing pleasure. It is worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Other shows such as the AK47 are also viewable.

Feedback Score
    It this just rehashed "Tales of the Gun" footage?

Defender Of The Faith

Feedback Score
    I searched "Modern Marvels: The M16 Assault Rifle" and the first video that came up called it "The most powerful assault rifle ever used in combat." and showed a few pictures show an M14 and what looks to be a soldier running up a hill with an M1 rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL5NT...om=PL&index=17

Feedback Score
    These stupid shows never get it right. I recently watched part of a Warriors segment entitled Mafia vs. Yakuza. One of the weapons used by the Mafia guy was a 1928 Thompson with a "50-bullet drum clip." Um, OK. Then they demonstrated one of the weapons used by the Yakuza, a P38. But then they showed a picture of all of the Yakuza's weapons, including a Sten, a P38, and some nunchucks ... but the "P38" they showed a picture of was a Luger. Then they did it again, so I switched channels.

Why can't these shows ever get this stuff right? It's not rocket science ...

Feedback Score
    I believe you might be right, though there might be additional material. I didn't remember all of the interviews with Stoner on the TOTG one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hootbro View Post
    It this just rehashed "Tales of the Gun" footage?

Feedback Score
    What all did this show get wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by exkc135driver View Post
    These stupid shows never get it right. I recently watched part of a Warriors segment entitled Mafia vs. Yakuza. One of the weapons used by the Mafia guy was a 1928 Thompson with a "50-bullet drum clip." Um, OK. Then they demonstrated one of the weapons used by the Yakuza, a P38. But then they showed a picture of all of the Yakuza's weapons, including a Sten, a P38, and some nunchucks ... but the "P38" they showed a picture of was a Luger. Then they did it again, so I switched channels.

Why can't these shows ever get this stuff right? It's not rocket science ...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I enjoy the History channel for just that, HISTORY. It does get anoying to see the mistakes they make on things such as mislableing guns though. But they do offer alot of info that i enjoy watching. One of the other things i dont like about em is somtimes they put an atheistic spin on some of theyre religious programs. But as far as old military battles and such it aint tooooo bad BTW, my TV is set on Discovery and History occasionally Comedy, other than that i dont get into alot more than that. I wish i Had the military channel though
    "Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist"

If you can't get behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them

Feedback Score

Almost everyone can skip this post ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dunderway View Post
    What all did this show get wrong?
    I’ve already discussed what I noticed that the show got wrong. Evidently you want more information. OK, here goes:

There is a Chinese saying to the effect that it is the beginning of wisdom to call things by their right names. Personally, I expect those who practice a trade or profession to correctly use the terms of art that apply to that trade or profession. Would you hire a carpenter who referred to that tool you use to drive nails as a “screwdriver”? Would you retain an attorney who confused the terms “lean” and “lien”? I wouldn’t.

The round thing that feeds ammunition into M1921 and M1928 Thompson SMGs is not a “50-bullet drum clip.” “Bullets” are the metal things that come out of the barrel when you pull the trigger. What you put into the weapon are “rounds” or “cartridges.” The only time you load a weapon with a “bullet” is when you load a muzzleloader.

A “clip” is something, almost always made of metal, which holds rounds in place while they are outside the magazine, such as an 8-round Garand clip. A “magazine” is a container in which ammunition is stored, such a 20-round M14 magazine or a 30-round M16 magazine. The most common types are box magazines, such as the M14 and M16 magazines just referred to, and drum magazines, such as those used in 1921 and 1928 Thompson SMGs.

So when the so-called “mafia weapons expert” referred to the 50-round drum magazine which was inserted into the Thompson as a “50-round drum clip,” he got it wrong. At that point he convinced me that he didn’t know WTF he was talking about.

For more information regarding the difference between clips and magazines, check out the article at http://everything2.com/title/Clip%2520vs.%2520magazine.

The show also demonstrated the use of a WWII-era Walther (could have actually been made by a variety of manufacturers) P38 but on at least 2 occasions showed a picture of a Luger and identified it as a P38. They are very different pistols. If a car salesman showed you a Ford Expedition but called it a Chevrolet Suburban, would you think he knew what he was talking about? Would you buy a car from him? Or would you immediately leave and shop somewhere else?

Like I said … it isn’t rocket science.

I didn’t stick around to see everything that the show got wrong. After the second misidentification of the Luger, I switched channels.

Feedback Score

I guess you misunderstood me.

Quote Originally Posted by exkc135driver View Post
    Evidently you want more information. OK, here goes:

Actually I don’t, so I hope you didn’t waste too much of your time typing up that sarcastic little essay.

“This show”, was referring to “Modern Marvels: The M-16 Assault Rifle”. Since that was the topic of this thread I thought I would ask you what inaccuracies were in the show. I really don’t care about your Japanese gangster show or how bad it was.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunderway View Post
    Actually I don’t, so I hope you didn’t waste too much of your time typing up that sarcastic little essay.

“This show”, was referring to “Modern Marvels: The M-16 Assault Rifle”. Since that was the topic of this thread I thought I would ask you what inaccuracies were in the show. I really don’t care about your Japanese gangster show or how bad it was.
    Too late!

Actually, I liked the M-16 Assault Rifle episode. Although I am no expert I did not catch any inaccuracies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast