Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tactical Carbine M4/AR-15 Course 6/14/2009 in Virginia

Feedback Score
    I've asked this before and not gotten a response, but since ron556's AAR brought it up, I'll ask again:

What is an appropriate level of prerequisite knowledge, considering that this is a "Basic" Tactical Carbine course?

Feedback Score
    Basic range safety, muzzle control, knowing what type of ammo your gun shoots helps a lot to. We had an issue with this, that's why I brought it up. I think a grasp of the basic handling of a carbine helps, like some of the basic malfunction remedy's.
    If the Enemy is in range, so are you.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the response. I don't want to be "That Guy" at the carbine class.

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrookman View Post
    Basic range safety, muzzle control, knowing what type of ammo your gun shoots helps a lot to. We had an issue with this, that's why I brought it up. I think a grasp of the basic handling of a carbine helps, like some of the basic malfunction remedy's.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by st_judas View Post
    I've asked this before and not gotten a response, but since ron556's AAR brought it up, I'll ask again:

What is an appropriate level of prerequisite knowledge, considering that this is a "Basic" Tactical Carbine course?
    +1 on what mgbrookman said. i will also address this. this is my own personal philosophy, so please take it with the requisite amount of salt. i just try to follow it so at the very least, i am not "that guy."

:: the four rules of gun safety. you MUST know these and adhere to them at all times. and i don't mean know them "in theory," or when you "feel like it," or just "on paper," but ALL THE DAMN TIME. it should be switched on and never turned off. if you cannot practice these, you do not belong in any basic class or on any gun range, period.

:: basic knowledge of your weapon system and how to operate it safely [see above]. loading, unloading, basic malfunction clearance, maintenance + lubrication. no need to be an armorer, but at least have a general idea how the damn thing works. you can learn these things in a class, but do not be a total noob to your weapon system.

:: a properly functioning weapon. does it work? has it been function-checked, fired and/or properly zeroed? if you show up to a course and one or more of these have not been done, you are wasting time and money at a "fighting" rifle class, basic or ninja-level. more importantly, you are wasting other peoples' time + money.

:: muzzle discipline [see #1 above]. at the very least, when someone says, "watch your muzzle!" to you, you know what the f**k they mean.

:: proper equipment [as listed by the instructor]. understandably, not everyone can afford to run out and purchase all the latest ninja commando gear for one class and you shouldn't have to. but if the equipment list calls for a tactical sling, bring a tactical sling. if it says you need a way to carry extra mags on your person, find something [purposely designed] to do so and bring it. gear lists are not there to make you drive your credit card bill up and dress like a ninja, they are there to facilitate a more pleasant and safe learning experience. looking like a special forces ninja is simply an added benefit.

:: know your limitations. if you are struggling with a drill so terribly that you are consistently violating any part of #1 above, you need to step off the line and either fix yourself or go home. do not be afraid or too arrogant to tell an instructor that you are not feeling comfortable with the drill. ask questions BEFORE you take action. everyone is there to learn and no one is there to earn an extra hole in their body.

:: most importantly: an open mind and a good attitude. the square-range commando ego needs to be left at home. if you can't do that, do not attend. you are paying good money and traveling all this way to LEARN. make the most of it, listen to the instructors and take what you can from any course. some of it may get past you and you may not agree with other parts, but every class can be a positive learning experience if you are receptive to what is being taught. save your blowhard arguments for the anonymous internet. go to the class, STFU, listen and try it. good students listen to their instructors AND vice versa. learning is not just one-sided; just keep that in mind.

as i said, this is mostly my own opinion and guide; it is by no means comprehensive. there are many more experienced individuals on this forum that can certainly add their $0.02 to this list. much of it is common sense and good judgment. opening a dialogue with more experienced shooters is always a benefit [like on this board]. hth, ymmv.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Excellent AAR!! I signed up for this class expecting it to be more of practice than anything else. I was very pleasantly surprised at the amount of information that I either did not know or have forgotten.

Some of the techniques that Tom preferred were ones I had tried before and since discarded. While there isn't any one I can think of that I felt were counter-productive or of a concern in terms of safety; it was good to revisit some of them. This allowed me to revisit why I stopped or never used them, as well as realize ones I should reconsider using again.

Even if you have attended courses that are "Advanced" and have years of experience shooting a Carbine; I very much recommend this course as a way to obtain feedback from two very observant instructors. IMHO, this makes all the difference in the world!!

You can attend a class that is being taught by the world's best shooter/operator/ninja/what-have-you. But if they cannot provide you with the relevant feedback to correct your bad habits, then you are just wasting your time and money.

Tom and Ed really excelled in this area and should be commended for their ability to focus on the individual and make corrections that are appropriate to their particular experience, performance and shooting style. I must also give them kudos for their patience towards the "problem children" of the class (you know who you are).

I am already planning on retaking this class sometime in the future just to keep myself "honest". IMHO, it is well worth the price of admission.

ON A SIDE NOTE:

As far as the safety issues, everyone who signs up for a shooting class starts out as a candidate to be "That Guy". What separates those who earn that title and the rest of the class is their attitude and preparation. Students who bring untested equipment and brand new, unfired guns to a shooting class is starting out way behind the power curve.

Individuals who have a mental block when it comes to safety will never learn the important lessons. In the (commercial) shooting courses I have been to, I have never heard an instructor berate a student for not being the best, fastest, or the most accurate shooter. All an Instructor ever asks for is that each student give their best and hopefully show some improvement between the first shot to the last.

Individuals who never get the importance of following the rules of Gun Safety or is unable to apply are guaranteed to earn that title. When a student is corrected by someone for placing their hand on the trigger when not appropriate and that person responds that the gun was unloaded or the safety was on - you have an attitude problem.
    Last edited by CarlosDJackal; 06-17-09 at 14:16.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12