Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Mk12 Mod 2"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    what DID happen? JUST flipping the bipod?

Yep, that's it. Just deploying the bipod about 20 or 30 times and the last time I folded it up I noticed it was springy/spongy feeling... That's when I noticed it was drooping... then I saw that the front end of the thing was bent/broken.

Surprised the sh*t out of me, since I figure guys in the field will bang these things around a LOT more than I ever would.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Soldiers probably leave the bottom rail off so they can mount M203s. Looking at the design of the bottom rail, it's not surprising at all that it would fatigue at that point. A solid one piece rail of ANY type would be better for your application.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    Soldiers probably leave the bottom rail off so they can mount M203s. Looking at the design of the bottom rail, it's not surprising at all that it would fatigue at that point. A solid one piece rail of ANY type would be better for your application.
    If I may, if this rail were to be implemented across a broad range of units I can only foresee those issued M203s leaving off the bottom. Most soldiers do not have 203s and therefor would leave the bottom rail on.

This leads back to my original concern. I have seen many folks in my old unit 1/502IN 101st ABN mounting Harris bi-pods to the KAC RAS rails when they were using an NT4 suppressor and an ACOG so as to use the M4 in a DMR type role. I think soldiers would still be using bi-pods with the DD rail and hence this may be a more wide spread issue.

I also agree, a solid rail such as a DD Lite or LaRue would probably serve the OP better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    deco,
    You're right, I forgot about the DMR rifles out there that might be using this. Since the bottom rail ends up like a diving board past that last screw, I'm not surprised we haven't seen this before.

OP, if the RIS II system ends up not working out so well for you, see if DD can replace it with a same length Lite rail. They use an almost identical lock-up ring so the swap will be a breeze. Good luck with the resolution.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    OP, if the RIS II system ends up not working out so well for you, see if DD can replace it with a same length Lite rail. They use an almost identical lock-up ring so the swap will be a breeze. Good luck with the resolution.
    I agree. I think this problem is a design flaw and therefore would not be addressed with replacement of only the bottom rail. I think it would be best just to trade up to a Lite rail.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quick update: Daniel Defense came through with a new rail and prepaid UPS tag to ship the damaged one back to them for evaluation. Didn't cost me a nickle.

The guy I talked to at DD said that this is not the first time they've seen the bottom rail bend/break at this point. He also said they were in the process of altering the design to "put some more meat in that area".

My bipod now lives 3 notches closer to the receiver.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123