Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Mk12 Mod 2"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Super nice setup ashooter!!!

...Love it when somebody takes a few thousand dollars of equipment, and sprays paint on it.
    Yeah, don't remind me how much it all cost...

I've sold a lot of stuff that I end up wishing I had kept... So if I can't think of a good reason to sell it, and I'm SURE that it fits the niche I want filled, I shoot it with paint and bang it around a bit so selling is no longer an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post

I paint my rifles exactly the same way. Not quite as good of results. But it seems like the 'worse' of a job you do painting sometimes, the better it conceals in the field!

Surprised you are keeping a standard trigger and stock on it... or are you?

Oh yeah, I'm very interested in your data concerning the difference in bullet drop between a suppressed and non-suppressed barrel. I can't find it in your post... were the groups pictured shot at 100 yards?
    Yeah, these were 100 yd groups. Basically just looking for a decent zero before I started "confirming" it and holdover calcs on the steel plates. I may fine tune my zero and holdovers a bit later, but for now I'm happy with ringing steel way out yonder. "Minute of torso" at 700 yards with a 5.56 is close enough for me!

Oh yeah - My zero shift with this can on this barrel seems to be about 2 MOA to 6 o'clock. Pretty much mirrors my results with other 16-18 inch stainless steel barrels I've used this can on over the years. I guess 4150 is a lot stiffer because I've shot this can on 3 different 14.5" M4 barrels and had pretty insignificant zero shift - less than 1 MOA to 6 o'clock... The zero shift works out pretty slick with this rifle - unsuppressed I have a 200 yard zero, and with the suppressor I have a 100 yard zero.

edit to add - Yes, I'm keeping the A1 stock and std trigger. The trigger is actually pretty nice for a std trigger. A little creep and a little heavy, but not crunchy like my other M4ish carbines. If it was as bad as my Mk18ish, I'd have to do something with it.
    Last edited by ashooter; 05-24-09 at 08:23.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Swatcop,

I have painted probably a dozen maybe two dozen weapons between my own and some here in country. If you do the prep properly, use good paint and your imagination it will work out just fine. Give it a go.
    Not trying to hijack the thread but if you could PM me the steps you take for the prepwork and process as well as the paint used I would appreciate it.

OP, I still think this is one of my favorite rifles. I added it to the collection of rifles running on my screensaver, with proper credits to you for the build of course.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    UPDATE:

She still shoots GREAT, but the Daniel Defense M4A1 RIS II broke. The removable bottom rail where the bipod attaches does not have any support for the last 3-4 inches (where the bipod attaches). So, with the relatively few deployments of the bipod, the f*cking rail has bent and the aluminum has actually broken! The front end of the bottom part didn't actually fall off (yet), but you can see cracks in the aluminum and I'm guessing a few more deployments of the bipod would have the front part of the bottom rail actually fall off.

I talked to Daniel Defense today and they seem pretty responsive. If I can get a free replacement lower rail, I'll call it good... Sure seems like a design flaw to me though, since this forend is intended for professional end users, many of whom will be using similar bipod setups. Word to the wise: If you use a bipod on one of these forends, be sure to attach it where the front of the bipod mount is about 3-4 notches back from the front of the bottom rail so you'll have the support of the screws that attach the bottom rail to the upper part!

Maybe I just got lucky and my lower rail came from a bad batch of alloy.

I'll post up about how DD handles it.
    Last edited by ashooter; 06-29-09 at 09:48.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have always likes how an A1 stock balances out an 18 inch barrel. Awesome SPR.

That is disappointing about the rail to say the least. I know a fair amount of soldiers in my old brigade who run bi-pods on M4s (think when running suppressed and with an ACOG or other magnified optic) and if they migrated to the new DD rail they could be in line to see this failure. Hopefully DD will get on top of this.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry to see the DD rail broke. Very nice setup. Can't wait to get mine finished.

Where did you find the A1 stock? I don't like Cavalry Arms version.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i see i'm not the only guy breaking DD rails.
    Last edited by bkb0000; 06-29-09 at 13:18.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    i see i'm not the only guy breaking DD rails.
    Didn't we determine that you are the exception to the rule?

Glad to hear DD is responsive to your problem. Be sure and let us know how the process goes.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ashooter View Post
    ...Word to the wise: If you use a bipod on one of these forends, be sure to attach it where the front of the bipod mount is about 3-4 notches back from the front of the bottom rail so you'll have the support of the screws that attach the bottom rail to the upper part!

Maybe I just got lucky and my lower rail came from a bad batch of alloy.

I'll post up about how DD handles it.
    Makes a good case for running a Lite rail instead of a RIS II for this particular application.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    Makes a good case for running a Lite rail instead of a RIS II for this particular application.
    Actually it reinforces my previously held belief that Larue is still the best thing going. I originally asked for a Larue 12.0, but Wes didn't have any and didn't know when he was getting any... I figured this thing would be "good enough". It probably will be, but I will just have to move the bipod back toward the receiver 3-4 notches.

Next time, I'll be patient and wait for a Larue though.

On the bright side - I got another email from Daniel Defense this afternoon saying that they were shipping me a new bottom rail today and would do a call tag to have my broken rail shipped to their QA guys. They seemed pretty interested to see what happened and why. GREAT customer service!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ashooter View Post
    Actually it reinforces my previously held belief that Larue is still the best thing going. I originally asked for a Larue 12.0, but Wes didn't have any and didn't know when he was getting any... I figured this thing would be "good enough". It probably will be, but I will just have to move the bipod back toward the receiver 3-4 notches.

Next time, I'll be patient and wait for a Larue though.

On the bright side - I got another email from Daniel Defense this afternoon saying that they were shipping me a new bottom rail today and would do a call tag to have my broken rail shipped to their QA guys. They seemed pretty interested to see what happened and why. GREAT customer service!
    what DID happen? JUST flipping the bipod?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast