Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: GPS System Close to Breakdown?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by peruna View Post
    Augmentation...not substitution.

Even the boys in my son's Cub Scout den know this (cause that's what I taught them)........

Exactly. Anyone venturing out should be an expert on the HHM (Hand Held Map), lensetic compass, coupled with the Mk-1 Eyeball.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    Last edited by tracker722; 10-24-11 at 17:52.

Feedback Score
    59 (100%)
    A GPS unit helped us find the restaurant for dinner tonight.....but I've entered more than one coastal inlet by boat when the GPS said we were going over land

Feedback Score

GPS

As long as our Military is so heavily invested in weapons systems reliant upon GPS technology...I don't forsee GPS going away anytime in the near future.
    I use a GPS daily on my job and in participating in the game of GeoCaching and love it.
    However if I am heading out into the deep dark woods, I will always carry a magnetic compass and at least a rudimentary map anything less would be irresponsible in my opinion.
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Feedback Score
    From the article:

"In recent years, the Air Force has struggled to successfully build GPS satellites within cost and schedule goals," said the report. "It encountered significant technical problems … [and] struggled with a different contractor."

The first replacement GPS satellite was due to launch at the beginning of 2007, but has been delayed several times and is now scheduled to go into orbit in November this year – almost three years late.
    WTF? Of all the things that money gets spent on...this is just a little to important to screw up.

Either way, my son (he's 12) has had a good time learning orienteering with the scouts. He surprised me with how fast he learned how to read a map and use a compass.
    "Disperse you rebels!, Damn You! Throw down your arms and Disperse!"....British Major Pitcairn at Lexington, April 19th 1775

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345