Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U.S. Armor comments on body armor contact shot efficacy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The .40 165 gr Gold Dot is one of the easier loads to stop...

The U.S. Armor Enforcer Classic works very well against all threats, including contact shots, yet the company keeps pushing other vest models that don't work as well and refuses to get their vests tested under the FBI protocol...

The main problem with the message is the attitude that contact shots are not a threat--this is VERY WRONG! Below are comments from an experienced LE officer from a large agency in a similar body armor thread at LF: http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums?a...1572#600101572:
    It's unfortunate to see that a company that makes a viable product already would do this. It appears that they are relying on their own, limited testing with that one .40 load to make a broader statement.

I can also say, based on recent firsthand experience, that Winchester RA9TA (127 gr. +P+) has a very minimal flash signature despite its higher pressure, so Mr. Olsen's comments about the "flame" from the muzzle are off base. It clearly is not the "flame" that causes contact shot issues, as this load produces little in the way of visible flame even in total darkness but is one of the loads of concern with respect to contact shot penetrations.
    Last edited by dbrowne1; 05-22-09 at 09:45.

Feedback Score
    Hot muzzle gases appear to melt and separate the edges of the armor material. Compare photos of the holes in the Level IIIa polyethelene laminate armor above that immediately failed with only ONE contact shot vs. the photo below of a Level II 100% woven p-aramid armor that received EIGHT contact hits in the exact same location before failing--note the lack of melted edges and separated fibers with the Kevlar armor, despite being hit with multiple shots...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very, very disappointing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had a box of the Nyclads. I got them in 87-88 I believe .I remember the guy at the Gun store telling me these would defeat a vest! I shot all of them up into a tree I knew it was just smoke and mirrors to sell some cool blue coated round.

Thank you Doc! for all the info I have learned a Lot from you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12