Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unexpected Lessons

Feedback Score
    Treat everything like a PI/Riggers check. Dont assume.
    Kevin...PI/Riggers check... I think down in the lower 48 is JMPI-Jumpmasters Personal Inspection... right? I do a kind of "Check Equipment!" thing where I start at the top and stop, well at the testicels... checking everything in between...

Good stuff this thread...

Y-

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by yasnevo
    Kevin...PI/Riggers check... I think down in the lower 48 is JMPI-Jumpmasters Personal Inspection... right? I do a kind of "Check Equipment!" thing where I start at the top and stop, well at the testicels... checking everything in between...

Good stuff this thread...

Y-
    No,

Rigger check is a check at certain steps in the parachute packing process in which an inspector is called to double check the rigger's work.

A JMPI is when you get your parachute/harness checked out by a Jumpmaster, (for instance, that your legstraps wont crush your balls) before a jump.

different things bud

Feedback Score
    Roger that...
    I've only been on the other end of a JMPI...

Thx...

Y-

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was out shooting with Luke McGillie, dropped him off at my house, took my gun and magazines off before walking into a store(due to a lack of a concealing garment) and four large inner-city residents with .45s walked in about 20 seconds behind me .

That'll make you feel stupid.

Edit: lesson learned - Never get outta the ****in' boat. Er. I mean, never take off your weapon. Period.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr
    I was out shooting with Luke McGillie, dropped him off at my house, took my gun and magazines off before walking into a store(due to a lack of a concealing garment) and four large inner-city residents with .45s walked in about 20 seconds behind me .

That'll make you feel stupid.

Edit: lesson learned - Never get outta the ****in' boat. Er. I mean, never take off your weapon. Period.
    I thought you still had the mags on your belt, or was it just the mag pouch?

The story is better if you had the mags, but not your pistola................

All I remember is that crazy "Death from the SCIF" shirt you had on that day
    Life is too short to deal with Blonde women, or carbine barrels over 10.5 inches

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by they
    No,

Rigger check is a check at certain steps in the parachute packing process in which an inspector is called to double check the rigger's work.

A JMPI is when you get your parachute/harness checked out by a Jumpmaster, (for instance, that your legstraps wont crush your balls) before a jump.

different things bud
    I've only got 4 US jumps --
    in the CF the JM can call a Rigger during his intial inspection if he sees something amiss.

I mentioned it more of a check it twice with a great deal of attention -- like you would jumping.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Biggest lesson I ever learned:

I bought a Mag-Cinch before I deployed to Iraq. I installed on 2 mags months before going over there. Every thing about it seemed fine and almost gave me a good feeling about having 56 rounds on my gun.

The first gun fight I was in lasted about an hour-felt like days. I had emptied my first mag in about 4 seconds(first firefight kinda tweaked). I did this "super speedy reload" with my Magcinch set up and after firing the gun 1 time, both mags feel out of the gun and hit the deck(which was the back of a Hum-V). I dropped down to get it, smashed it back in the mag well and went to work- After pulling the trigger, it fell out again. I immedeatly ditched that piece of shit for another mag and never had another problem.

After the gun fight I had a chance examine the Mag-Cinch set up.
    What happened was, I thought the Mag-Cinch was cinched to the mags tight enough...it wasn't. During the first reload my adrenaline was pumping so hard that when I slammed the mag into the well, the allignment was off and the now empty mag was hanging up on the bolt-catch and was not allowing the full mag to seat properly(lock in place).

Lessons learned:

1)The Mag-Cinch is a Piece of Shit that almost cost me my life.

2)Adrenaline can be very powerful and totally "F" up the whole "smooth is fast" thing.

3) The mag-cinch falling out of my gun had actually SAVED MY LIFE; two sniper rounds came from behind me striking the the tow-bar (which was strapped to the Hum-V roof) 2 inches apart...Had I not been bending down picking up the Mag-Cinch off the deck, I may have been SOL.

Feedback Score
    We're glad you are still with us Raining Brass...
    Great learning points.

Y-

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeMacGillie
    I thought you still had the mags on your belt, or was it just the mag pouch?

The story is better if you had the mags, but not your pistola................

All I remember is that crazy "Death from the SCIF" shirt you had on that day
    LOL...yeah, I was wondering what that dude was thinking when he had that .45 screwed into my kidney with that grinning skull staring back at him...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero
    Well, there's one other thing you don't want to forget about: hearing protection. It was hot, I turned'em up so I could hear better during the instruction, and when the draw command was given, they were still sitting on my temples instead of on my ears.
    I've done that myself.

I remember going through the shoothouse at Blackwater during one of the night exercises and after I had done my run through I remember thinking "Golly....That was louder than the day run..."

I go outside to the rest of the guys and go "Did anyone notice how loud it was in there?"

"Uh, Opie, were your muffs on your head the whole time?"

"....... .......... ........ ............ "

I was only using a 9mm at the time so the effects weren't too brutal.

I have also had an occasion or two where the muffs weren't on exactly right. At my last carbine class I was proned out doing a drill beside a guy Rob and his crew nicknamed "Winchester" who had a really oddly configured SBR with some hideous brake on it. When he started shooting I found out that I hadn't positioned my muffs exactly right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast