Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: M193 in the leg.

Feedback Score
    X-rays indicate that the Femur was hit. In this case the yaw/fragmentation cycle normally seen in tissue is irrelevant. A bulet that may not fragment in tissue may do so when hitting bone. Bone fragments will also act as secondary projectiles. If no bone was hit we may have been looking at a guy who walked out of the ER in a couple hours.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cebuboy View Post
    Bullet did not hit bone, fracture caused by shock wave of the passing bullet.
    How was this concluded?
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    There seems to be some debate as to whether penetrating projectile wounds are capable of breaking bones in this manner without direct impact. Dr. Fackler seems to think that such injuries are not possible.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Fackler..._wave_myth.pdf

Feedback Score
    I've seen a few feral pigs and animals the size of small deer shot with this ammo...

Even considering a very early yaw and large, shallow temporary cavity in an extremity (not usual) and I don't think the M193 can break a large bone like the femur only due to shock wave... I'm pretty sure the bullet hit the bone in this case.
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 05-26-09 at 13:04.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What they don't in the pics is that his head popped right off his body due to the massive hyrdoelectricstaticelectricityshocker force.

Cameron

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Goodtimes View Post
    did this guy get to keep his leg? that looks like a horrible wound.

also, is this what my hornady 75gr TAP will do on a regular basis?
    Actually, it looks worse than it really was since this is after the docs cleaned the wound.

I am concerned people are looking at these pics and assuming that the bullet did all of this and getting a hard on at all the apparent damage from a 5.56.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Actually, it looks worse than it really was since this is after the docs cleaned the wound.

I am concerned people are looking at these pics and assuming that the bullet did all of this and getting a hard on at all the apparent damage from a 5.56.
    I agree what most people might be forgetting when you break a bone in the body you can have major swelling. Broke 2 bones in my hand years back it swelled so much it look like it was going to bust.+ the femur bone is the biggest bone in the body.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    while i'm sure its possible to snap bones with close rifle rounds, i would think that would be one of those 1 out of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kind of things. i'd really like to see something verifiable here

Feedback Score
    In the X-ray shows fragments that look like bone fragments. I am by no means a doctor but in my teeny, tiny, experience in looking at x-rays bones and metals show up different and those fragments look the same as the bone. I don't believe that the bone was broke with hyd shock it looks like to me the bullet hit the bone.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    while i'm sure its possible to snap bones with close rifle rounds, i would think that would be one of those 1 out of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kind of things. i'd really like to see something verifiable here
    Sounds like a perfect task for the Mythbusters lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    What they don't in the pics is that his head popped right off his body due to the massive hyrdoelectricstaticelectricityshocker force.

Cameron
    HAHA!!

Anyway a couple observations...
    • I am willing to bet this guy looses his leg over this.
    • Surprised the femoral artery was not damaged, and this guy didn't bleed out on the spot.
    • I am 100% sure that projectile hit the bone and the extensive trauma to the leg is a combination of the fragmentation but primarily the mechanical force from the shattered bone moving around in the leg.

I saw an Iraqi get shot in the top of his ass from behind with M855 at a range of about 20 feet. It hit and shattered his pelvis which in turn sent bone and bullet fragments into the kidneys and renal artery. He was running from us and the guy who shot him was trying to "wound him" to get him to stop. Didn't work out well...he died in minutes. Seeing this picture reminded me a lot of how that wound looked.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast