Thread: "Deep Survival" by Laurence Gonzales

Feedback Score

"Deep Survival" by Laurence Gonzales

Curious if anyone here has read it.

Excellent book, but different from the traditional "survival book". Very little focus on survival "techniques", but hands down the most in depth text on survival mindset and the reactions of individuals in survival situations I have ever read.

He covers a lot of territory but the book is extremely readable. I think it should be required reading for anyone who might ever find themselves in extremis. It uses case studies for examples - everything from plane crases to POW's to mountaineering accidents to shipwrecks.

Picked mine up at Hastings when I couldn't find anything else I cared to read. One of the better investments on my bookshelf.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's a great book indeed. I picked up it last summer at a friend's recommendation. I couldn't put it down until I was done.
    Last edited by Byron; 05-26-09 at 12:04.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just curious... Is he a level headed conservative who can focus on the topic at hand or is he a bed wetting liberal like Neil Strauss/Emergency who bashes the military and conservative government?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It doesn't delve into politics.

Dig around the author's site if you wish:
    http://www.deepsurvival.com/

As for mention of the military, his father (who he idolizes) served:
    (Excerpts)

This all reminds me that my copy is still on "loan" to a friend. It's been 11 months now... maybe he's done reading it by now

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Great book! I keep a few copies on hand just to give to people who haven't yet read it.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWK View Post
    Great book! I keep a few copies on hand just to give to people who haven't yet read it.
    And I thank you for one of those. It is a fantastic book and if you haven't read it you really should.

I've since passed it off to several friends.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    I went to the "Deep Survival" website and read some excerpts...looks like a good read. I'll look at the library tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Awesome book and a breath of fresh air if you are on a survival bender

Feedback Score

Smile Survival Books

Deep Survival, Who lives, who dies and why.

Not a bad read, as the title suggests, it focuses on the mindset of survivors, not really technical skills.

I liked the second half better because it focused on application and context that a soldier (or whom ever) would relate to in the field.

The first half of the book mainly focuses on back ground stuff like brain chemistry and was not that enjoyable for me.

A summation would read something like this:

1. Face the truth and resist denial. Have the interpersonal skills, emotional maturity and humility to accurately understand the situation as it is right now. No lying to yourself now, it will get you killed.

2. Make the decision to either be a victim or a survivor. Say it out loud, pray it, or what ever, but be decisive.

3. Take action (some times you just have to get moving) and involve others if possible.

I'd give it about 3.5 stars out of 5.

Read Gavin De Beckers book, The Gift of Fear. Its great and much more focused on threat detection.