Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Slide release or slide grab???

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Slide release or slide grab???

Why are almost all training manuals and videos recommending that the slide release not be used when closeing the slide after a mag change? I don't mean to be ignorant, but I use the slide release at the range often and never had a FTF or any issues with it. Would it not be quicker to use the slide release in a real life situation and grab the slide for a back up?

Just a why, no real value to this post..........

Thanks,

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Because the belief is that under stress when fine motor skills "diminish" you may not hit the release thereby losing valuable time.

Quote Originally Posted by 1_click_off View Post
    Why are almost all training manuals and videos recommending that the slide release not be used when closeing the slide after a mag change? I don't mean to be ignorant, but I use the slide release at the range often and never had a FTF or any issues with it. Would it not be quicker to use the slide release in a real life situation and grab the slide for a back up?

Just a why, no real value to this post..........

Thanks,

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For me, I believe in the fine motor control versus gross motor control debate. My experience tells me that I am much faster with reaching over the top (support hand- gross motor function) than manipulating the slide catch with strong hand thumb or weak hand digits.

Do you feel that the opposite is true?
    "We need to get over the romance of aligning sights and get to the business of shooting smelly bearded men in the face more efficiently."
    Pat Rogers

Feedback Score
    This is one of those internet age old arguments that can be lumped into the pile with the bore axis crowds and limp wristing crowds, it came up during my time in the Police Academy and the instructors all agreed whatever works for you as long as it is safely done.

Personally I drop the slide with the release, I have on all the guns I've owned and shot, from my duty Glock to my $2,000 Wilson Combat.

I've done it during SWAT school and many stress fire courses.
    Last edited by JSandi; 05-26-09 at 17:34.
    Old age and treachery always overcome youth and skill

Feedback Score
    there is a school of thought that says actually hitting the slide stop to release the slide under stress is less reliable than grabbing the slide...and less transferable from one pistol to another.

i have had instructors who i greatly respect teach me both ways.

my own experience is that with my glock 17s, i seem to have no issues at all using the slide stop to release the slide. with my glock 20, i do sometimes "miss" it (or, actually, hit it, but not hard enough to release the slide--that sucker is much harder to release than my g17s).

i default to using it unless i am taking a class where the instructor is against it...then i overhand the slide instead.

i do seem to have ingrained grabbing the slide if the first attempt at the slide stop fails...which is probably a good thing.

of course, every once in a great while, the slide releases itself upon banging home the new magazine. if i could figure out how to get that to reliably happen...

ToddG Guest
    Conventional wisdom on this issue switches back and forth. I can't speak to what "training manuals and videos" are recommending, but among the best mil, LE, and private instructors I've seen the whole "fine vs. gross motor skill" thing has been put to rest and the general consensus is:

• Hit the slide release if you can do so quickly and easily.
    • Rack the slide otherwise.

In my opinion, the whole "rack the slide" mantra finds its genesis among mediocre shooters who like to use the word fighting as an excuse for why their hard skills suck.

Feedback Score
    I use the slide release, but on my HK I use my weak hand thumb to do so as not to switch my grip
    Second Amendment Absolutist!

"Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go?"
    -seen on a speed shop in Michigan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I powerstroke or grab the slide simply because its got a larger surface area.

I sweat...alot, ive had my fingers slip off of slide releases before since they're so small.

Ive never had my hand slip off of the top of the slide...yet. Not saying it cant happen but there's a whole hell of a lot more material to grab.

It works for me, it may not work for others, to each their own.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I look at it as tools for the toolbox. I don't really think of either method as being "better" necessarily, just different ways to go about it. If you can get to the slide release quickly and easily, generally that is going to be a bit faster than the slingshot method. Personally, I use the over the top slingshot racking method most of the time. For me, I like using that method as it simplifies things to where my reloads, remedial action drills, etc are all going through some of the same basic motions. I would just experiment with each and see what you like best and what works for you. Personally, I've found with some guns that I just can't reach the slide release with my primary thumb (1911's for example), in which case I prefer the slingshot method as opposed to fiddling around trying to find the slide release.
    "Ammo in the gun = Time in the fight." -Paul Gomez

Texas Gun Talk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm a left so pretty much the only time I do it is with sub-compact pistols that I can't get my finger up to the slide stop. I think it's really just personal preference, try both and see which one works best for you.
    Last edited by Erk1015; 05-27-09 at 00:09.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast