Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Slide release or slide grab???

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I was at a class one time where they recommended that every time you shot you should do a reload as soon as the danger cleared. So, for example, we had some strings where we shot 2 rounds. After that we would drop our mags (in my case, a Glock 17 mag with 15 rounds still in the tube) and grab the slide (which was the REQUIRED method). Now, this meant we would dump a round on the ground in order to load another round.

Now, I am no Ninja, but this seemed pretty damn dumb. This was all supposedly done in the name of KISS. Oh, and then we had to do a 360 degree spin to check our 3, 6 9, 12.
    Last edited by The Dumb Gun Collector; 05-29-09 at 19:59.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I was at a class one time where they recommended that every time you shot you should do a reload as soon as the danger cleared.
    I'm familiar with the idea but the reason I heard for it was to be ready for a new adversary/engagement with a full mag. The thinking behind it is since you do not know what the new threat will be, it is better to face it with a full mag than with partially full mag. If there is no new threat, there is no penalty for having done an unnecessary reload. At its core, it is a reload drill where the shooter learns to do a mag change without dumping a still useful mag on the ground. The shooter is supposed to retain the partially used mag in case he needs to use it later.

I am not a fan of dumping the already chambered round on the ground but maybe your instructor was trying to avoid a situation where a fully topped off new mag will not properly seat in the pistol unless the action is open. Some pistols have issues with that kind of thing because the mags have been crammed with the extra round to up capacity but now there is no additional room for the mag spring to compress.

I believe that the Walther P99's had to lower their magazines capacity from 16 to 15 with 9mm and from 12 to 11 with .40 S&W specifically because of this issue.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    "I am not a fan of dumping the already chambered round on the ground but maybe your instructor was trying to avoid a situation where a fully topped off new mag will not properly seat in the pistol unless the action is open. Some pistols have issues with that kind of thing because the mags have been crammed with the extra round to up capacity but now there is no additional room for the mag spring to compress. "

That would make at least some sense. But these yah-hoos were doing this on a closed slide. So, you would have to seat the mag anyway-- and then dump the round. Which lead to the theoretically hilarious situation of shooting one round, dumping the mag, reseating, and dumping another round.

The stated rationale was to assure that you didn't have an empty chamber (such as when a slide release doesn't catch).
    Last edited by The Dumb Gun Collector; 05-29-09 at 22:04.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was at a class one time where they recommended that every time you shot you should do a reload as soon as the danger cleared. So, for example, we had some strings where we shot 2 rounds. After that we would drop our mags (in my case, a Glock 17 mag with 15 rounds still in the tube) and grab the slide (which was the REQUIRED method). Now, this meant we would dump a round on the ground in order to load another round.

Now, I am no Ninja, but this seemed pretty damn dumb.
    It is pretty damn dumb. Tac loading during a lull in the fight is a good idea....drilling it into people to drop a mag and eject a live round every damn time they finish a string is beyond retarded. That's the kind of crud that comes back like a bad case of VD in a critical incident.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Now, I am no Ninja, but this seemed pretty damn dumb. This was all supposedly done in the name of KISS. Oh, and then we had to do a 360 degree spin to check our 3, 6 9, 12.
    I rack the slide on a reload no matter what, and I can understand the logic in doing it. I can even understand training yourself to scan the area after a confrontation (although I think that would fit better in scenario or FoF training). That having been said, I don't agree with performing a tac-load after a couple of rounds. Why mess with a working gun? You know it is feeding/shooting correctly, so don't screw around with it and risk a user induced error or something.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    "I am not a fan of dumping the already chambered round on the ground but maybe your instructor was trying to avoid a situation where a fully topped off new mag will not properly seat in the pistol unless the action is open. Some pistols have issues with that kind of thing because the mags have been crammed with the extra round to up capacity but now there is no additional room for the mag spring to compress. "

That would make at least some sense. But these yah-hoos were doing this on a closed slide. So, you would have to seat the mag anyway-- and then dump the round. Which lead to the theoretically hilarious situation of shooting one round, dumping the mag, reseating, and dumping another round.

The stated rationale was to assure that you didn't have an empty chamber (such as when a slide release doesn't catch).

Did you learn how to "fight" in that class?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by USBP379 View Post

Gross motor skills and surety of manipulating slide trump the minimal speed you'll gain from slide catch.
    Pulling the trigger is a fine motor skill.

Using the magazine release is a fine motor skill.

Using the decocker and/or safety is a fine motor skill.

Pull a magazine from pouch is a fine motor skill.

Inserting a magazine is a fine motor skill.

Gee........we can do all of that but can't use a slide release??

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Did you learn how to "fight" in that class?
    I never got my "mind straight." I did learn how to dump mag after mag into targets at 7 yards.

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I can't believe this thread has gone on for 6 pages.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I can't believe this thread has gone on for 6 pages.
    Yea, but at least its been fairly civil, on topic, informative, with thought out arguments on both sides, instead of the "JMB didn't design it that way/it doesn't look good/my combat guru is better then yours"..type of stuff.

Bob

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast