Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Slide release or slide grab???

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dann in Ohio View Post
    I've had many friends who've debated these issues repeatedly. The one consideration that is left out by most in this debate is weather.

Almost all shooters spend almost all their shooting time in decent or half-decent weather. If it's bitter cold out or sleeting or raining and cold out like at times in Ohio you might find that if you wear heavy gloves the slide release is hard to operate and if you wear light or no gloves your numb hands make the slide release hard to operate. This also applies to the magazine release.

I have the fortunate situation of having my own private outdoor range with a covered shooting line and I purposely shoot in inclement weather. When I've had friends over in the winter on bitter cold or even mildly cold days for shooting, it's amazing how many "proficient" shooters I've seen in the summer struggle in the winter cold with gloves or numb hands during practice.

It's also interesting for friends to come over and try their guns out during a heavy rain (not under the covered shooting line) and see how easy or hard manipulating their guns are with everything being soaking wet and slippery.

Just something to think about and even try with your own shooting.

Dann in Ohio
    Done it multiple times. One doesn't need inclement weather to wear gloves or simulate wet conditions, although one needs bad weather to simulate cold.

I had my Glock grip-reduced for the second time when I found I couldn't reach slide stop in gloves. Now I can reach it, and if I can reach it, I can hit it, never failed.

This is a photo from a training event we had here; it was taken on May 24, 2010; funny Utah weather.... We learned quite a bit about doing things in massive snowfall with frozen wet hands, but not being able to hit a slide release wasn't one of those things.

Last edited by YVK; 08-14-11 at 20:53.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A thread over 18 months dead, with no of viably new info.

Dann, if I could slap the back of your necroposting neck, I would.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526