Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223AI Remy 700 build

Feedback Score

.223AI Remy 700 build

Hey guys, I'm new here, so I figure I'd introduce myself and my current build. A while ago I picked up a 700 SPS in .204 Ruger for a good price. The action is at with my gunsmith right now waiting for Lilja to ship the barrel (should only be another 2 or 3 weeks based on Lilja's estimate!!) It's a #7 contour 8 twist tube which I'll have finished to 22". The stock is one of the B&C LTR stocks which I've painted in a somewhat camo pattern. I'll be using a NF NXS 5.5-22x56 scope with this too. I can't wait for it to be done. The majority of its use will be inside 600 yards slinging 75gr A-Max at paper and steel targets.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    your going to love your 223ai once you get her home

mine is very similar and i shoot this gun alot, whats not to love about the chambering

Feedback Score
    Looks good! How long is that barrel?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    22in #6 broughton 1-8

i run a relatively mild load 75g a-max at 3060fps, but it work in the middle of day in 100deg humid florida weather

Feedback Score
    just picked up my 223ai a couple of days ago. It's a trued up remington with a Rock 8twist finished at 22inches, skim bedded into an HS precision handle. The fireforming loads where scary accurate yesterday, and I can't wait to start true load development!

The 223ai is something else, and I wish I would not have waited so long to build it. 1k capability at half the recoil, half the powder, half the bullet cost (600 75 amaxes at $96-ish), longer strings of fire, no case trimming, and loooong barrel life. Win/win/win/win...etc..etc...

Josh

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpipes View Post
    just picked up my 223ai a couple of days ago. It's a trued up remington with a Rock 8twist finished at 22inches, skim bedded into an HS precision handle. The fireforming loads where scary accurate yesterday, and I can't wait to start true load development!

The 223ai is something else, and I wish I would not have waited so long to build it. 1k capability at half the recoil, half the powder, half the bullet cost (600 75 amaxes at $96-ish), longer strings of fire, no case trimming, and loooong barrel life. Win/win/win/win...etc..etc...

Josh
    This is week #8 waiting for my barrel now. Lilja's estimate was 8-9 weeks, so I'm getting really excited at this point. You're spot on with all the advantages of the .223AI. Do you have pics of your new rifle?

I was at the gun store with my fiance yesterday and she managed to talk me into buying her a 700 SPS Tactical in .308 so she can get started in precision shooting. I'm jealous that she has her rifle already and I still am waiting for mine.
    Last edited by CC556; 06-14-09 at 10:28.

Feedback Score
    Apologies for the delay, here are some piss-poor pictures via my cell phone:

Fire-Formed brass vs. standard loaded .223 round.

5 shots. No special load, but this is from fireforming...just 24-ish grains of varget, virgin winchester brass, and federal 205's. Pulled the last one BADLY...I really need to work on my shooting.

This rifle is a lot of fun, and I think you'll enjoy yours....
    Last edited by jpipes; 06-15-09 at 20:49. Reason: adding data

Feedback Score
    That looks really good. I really can't wait to get my barrel. This is killing me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    .223 AI is a great clambering; as are all the AI rounds I've had experience with, with the .280 AI being my favorite. I've been tossing around a .204 AI for quite some time now. Best of luck with the new rifle, sir!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Don't see the point of improving a 204, it alread has a sharp shoulder and minimal taper.

If you guys were going to have a rifle built from scratch on a Stiller action, who would you have put it together?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast