Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Home defense concepts and equipment

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlobb View Post
    I'm new here but I have a few things I'd like to share. While I won't divulge all of my protocols for home security I will share a few key points.

I keep a USPC 9mm, E2D LED, and cell phone right next to the bed with a 870P next to my bedroom door. I can get to the pistol in seconds and within three steps to the shotgun. At the first sign of noise/trouble my girlfriend calls 911 while I get to my guns. I take a position at the top of the steps and wait for help.

In order to better hear an attack coming, at all major entry points I have a baby monitor stationed very close by. One by the front door, sliding glass door and garage door leading into the house. They are very effective for picking up the slightest sound and give me a chance to here what's going on. I color coded the antennas of the receivers so I know exactly where the noise is coming from.

I have a front door key on a glow in the dark key chain that I can throw out of the window and direct the police to, to enter my home if need be.

I also keep a two way radio with extra batteries in the night stand in case the cell/land line doesn't work.

Where does the two way radio go to? Can you leave baby monitors constantly on without burning them up? Sounds like a good plan

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Part of our security plan is that I am the only one who opens the door for a stranger. My wife only opens the door for people she knows and clearly recognizes. My kids only open the door for me or my wife. When I am not home, the dog will not even let our friends in if my wife does open the door. A dog is a great deterrent (and a fun companion) but would probably be the first to take a bullet in a real home invasion. Of course we have the proper products available close at hand.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    That's a big dog! My little English Springer Spaniel sounds like German Shepherd when some one comes to the door.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    I have a Sig 229 with an X300 attached on the bedstand and a Colt 1911 in a holster bolted to the underside of my coffee table in the living room. I keep a couple extra mags and a 6P in a box on the table.

All long guns are locked in the safe unless out for cleaning or maintenance.

I've come to believe that a handgun is more appropriate for home defense for a variety of reasons. I'm sure there are people who will criticize me for it, but it's something I've given a great deal of thought over the years.

Feedback Score
    Here is a little insight into the hows and whys I do what I do to minimize the risk to my family and the plan I have to deal with a person or persons who enter my home without my permission.

I live on the 3rd floor (currently top floor) of my complex, even though I hate moving furniture or heavy items up and down, it allows me the "opportunity" to have one of my neighbors get broken into instead of or before me. Being a condo and not on the groud floor, it also allows for only one entry to my three exits. In each of the bedrooms and the living room, there are fire ladders that reach to the ground level. In case of a fire or break in (and under the right circumstances), my teenage daughter and my wife and I each have the ability to exit the condo.

My wife, daughter and I each have a cell phone and charger next to the bed and we put them there religiously every night. In any of the situations, I or a family member would call 911. I do not have any delusions that the police would ever stop someone from entering my condo, nor do I believe they would arrive in time to save my ass. I believe that is my responsibility and one of the reasons I prepare. There are two reasons I would always call the police during a home invasion, the first is to minimize liability if I had to shoot someone. I feel it provides a certain amount of CYA (although I'm no lawyer). The second of course is apprehension during or after the fact.

The enterance to the bedrooms and guest bathroom has it's own set of double doors that open outward and separate them from the rest of the condo. for my nightly routine, I turn off all the lights and lock the door. I also close the double doors and set the screamer as I like to call it. It's a simple alarm made specifically for apartments that screaches when the contacts are broken (doors are opened). Then My bedroom door is locked. All of the doors in the condo are thick wood (oak maybe? Heavy freakin' doors) that would provide some ballistic protection, It would be easier to go through the drywall than these things with the locks I have. If I have to get to my kid and the intruder has breached the double doors, I can and would seriously consider tearing down the wall between the master bathroom and her room at least for comms but I don't believe it would ever get to that.

I carry concealed when I'm out and about all day on the weekends and before and after work (company rules...bleh!) during the week. At home, I open carry unless guests are over and then I'll cover up if it makes them uncomfortable. The craigslist murder in our area changed my opinion about carrying at home. I have no intention of inviting total strangers over to my home to buy my expensive belongings but I feel more comfort in believing someone would be less likely to start something if they knew up front that bullets would be coming back at them.

Before I go to bed, my carry gun goes in the big safe (there is no light rail on my carry gun) and I always keep my Springfield TRP Operator with a TRL-1s and a couple of 10 rounders in the keypad lock box bolted to the dresser drawer next to my bed and a key "hidden" in case the batteries fail. I chose to use the 1911 as my night stand gun primarily due to the fact that It has a manual safety to slow me down an extra second in order to confirm the identity of my target. I could have easily chosen to use my M&P or Glock but neither have a safety and I don't see the need for having one on a striker fire gun, it's just not what their purpose is for me.

I've considered bringing my plates out of the garage and I will if the crime rate continues to get worse and we lose even more cops but for now I feel like trouble would have an easier time with the neighbors and I would likely be responding to them (Probably another thread...).

Hope this is helpful to someone.
    Last edited by PieceKeeper; 12-29-10 at 05:58.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    Lots of good info but I really liked this part and did some research. Looks like these guys are pretty shit hot, http://www.acesecuritylaminates.com/index.htm, after watching a few comparison videos to 3M. Google: window security film and check out the videos.

Also the box strike, as was previously mentioned, is a great idea along with a high security deadbolt. Regular do it yourself home improvement store deadbolts are easily defeated through picking, kicking and bump keys (Google it). After quite a bit of reading these guys seem to be at or near the top of the list http://www.medeco.com/.

The laminate, box strike and high security deadbolt will be the first additions to the new house before moving in in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed. Along with that I'll be getting an alarm system installed. ADT installed our current one for free along with a contract but I'm wondering if there are better options out there? Anybody have any advice or would it be better to start a new thread on electronic house security options?
    I worked as a lock smith assistant as a kid growing up in Brooklyn, and we saw just about everything. Medico was the only lock he recommended. The main failing was usually the strike plate. People installed good locks, and didn't correctly install strike plates which ripped off with a simple kick. Reinforced strike plate using long screws is essential. Never saw a lock or deadbolt fail, was always the strike plates. Of course it goes without saying, solid core doors and hinges with extra long screws. If the lock does not give, a good kick the hing side can pop a door off BTW...Many a good lock put on many a crappy door.

They also make high security doors that look like residential doors, but are much tougher, and short of C4, not opening the standard method of kick, pry bar, etc.

Things like various after market strike plates help a lot, like the Strike Master and others. Went to work for the lock smith as a kid after my grandmothers house was broken into twice, once with her asleep in it!
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526