Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Home defense concepts and equipment

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I guess I am a big proponent of body armor and here is why. Most people think it is slow to put it on. It is all a matter of technique.

For us working in Iraq or Astan, rocket or mortar attacks can be common. You learn to get your armor on quickly. I found that putting on my full "work" vest to be slow since you normally have to use two hands due to the weight. In the dark it is even harder and things can get hung up as you are throwing it on. So, I went with a simple plate carrier with just a med kit on the front. I draped it over my night table with the rear plate flat on top of the table and the front plate hanging down in front. Since the rear plate has no kit on it, it lays flat. The inside portion of the carrier is facing up.

When I put it on, I simply grab the rear portion off the table and throw it over my head. This action can also be done with one hand if needed. Another way is to roll out of bed onto the floor (commonly done during attacks) and walk on all fours until your head goes goes into the plate carrier. I never sleep in a totally darkened room due to these constant threats. I want to see just enough to get to my kit. Oftentimes, this means nothing more than the glow from my laptop's screen.

People think putting on armor is slow because they only put it on for shooting courses and it is normally fastened. It is really a matter of a lack of training with the vest. You do not have to buckle the plate carrier right away. The weight will let it hang naturally over your chest.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I won't be surprised if there is at least one person here who's PJ's consist of boxers, hanes t-shirt or wife beater........a MICH helmet, plate carrier, thigh holster, and a slung carbine. I kid, I kid.

Myself, within arms reach of my bed I have a large LED flashlight, my cell, glasses, P220 and two mags, belt with a holster and 2 more mags in a mag pouch on it that I can quickly throw on if the situation warrants, and lastly I have a Benelli Supernova about 5 feet away if things seem dire. 25rds of buckshot, slugs, and then 40rds of .45acp should be good enough, and if not I'll have an AR as well as soon as I get off my lazy butt and finish building it. I'm also thinking about maybe having a vest around of some sort (maybe IIIa soft armor, or maybe just a couple plates for my knock off plate carrier). Most of that stuff is velcro and only takes a sec to throw on anyways. Doesn't have to be perfectly cinched up, just needs to cover the vital areas.
    "Ammo in the gun = Time in the fight." -Paul Gomez

Texas Gun Talk

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    I never sleep in a totally darkened room due to these constant threats.
    You heard it here first folks, Iraq Ninja sleeps with a nightlight .
    I hear that DEVGRU is now issuing Spongebob nightlights for the same reason .

Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    I guess I am a big proponent of body armor and here is why. -SNIP-
    (this is not really a direct response to you, Iraq Ninja, but rather a discussion about the points you raised)

Absolutely agee about the technique issue. I have been to a few courses that had time limits for donning full kit, as well as more than a few real life "get it the f**k on NOW!" times. This is a big reason that my armor (and all of my kit really) is set up to permit rapid donning. There is no argument I can think of that would make me say that I would rather not have protection than to have it on.

Of course, knowing how fast you can get it on, and how "on" it needs to be to be worthwhile is a critical point. Once that is known, one can examine the time delay that grabbing the armor will impose. Everything an individual does takes a certain amount of time, and during that time the intruder will also be doing something. I think it comes to a fine line of balancing protection and support with speed of action.

If one is willing to accept a time delay and a few seconds of inability to act at full capacity and freedom of movement for the invader(s) in order to up protection levels, I have no real criticism. One thing that I will say is that a rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 06-05-09 at 04:44.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    if someone breaks in, ive decided i will be meeting them at somewhere in the house. my house is a two story house and my stairs are at the front of the house. and the way me home is set up, its very easy to clear the house from the stairs, starting at the front and moving towards the back. this is also ideal because 5 feet from my bedroom, is a balcony that overlooks the front door.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I can identify with this part "One thing that I will say is that a rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked" since I sleep in the buff. I often wonder what will be more effective. Me firing on them or them seeing my cack swinging in the breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    You heard it here first folks, Iraq Ninja sleeps with a nightlight .
    I hear that DEVGRU is now issuing Spongebob nightlights for the same reason .

(this is not really a direct response to you, Iraq Ninja, but rather a discussion about the points you raised)

Absolutely agee about the technique issue. I have been to a few courses that had time limits for donning full kit, as well as more than a few real life "get it the f**k on NOW!" times. This is a big reason that my armor (and all of my kit really) is set up to permit rapid donning. There is no argument I can think of that would make me say that I would rather not have protection than to have it on.

Of course, knowing how fast you can get it on, and how "on" it needs to be to be worthwhile is a critical point. Once that is known, one can examine the time delay that grabbing the armor will impose. Everything an individual does takes a certain amount of time, and during that time the intruder will also be doing something. I think it comes to a fine line of balancing protection and support with speed of action.

If one is willing to accept a time delay and a few seconds of inability to act at full capacity and freedom of movement for the invader(s) in order to up protection levels, I have no real criticism. One thing that I will say is that a rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked.
    Last edited by Iraqgunz; 06-05-09 at 07:48.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yup - I count on that as part of the shock and awe strategy Nekkid, hairy dude advancing on you with a carbine, and junk swinging in the breeze. How'd that be for a 'last thing you see before you die' image?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Naked, hairy and tattoos. I think "Cock and Awe" would be more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Yup - I count on that as part of the shock and awe strategy Nekkid, hairy dude advancing on you with a carbine, and junk swinging in the breeze. How'd that be for a 'last thing you see before you die' image?
    Last edited by Iraqgunz; 06-05-09 at 08:48.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    If I'm wearing pants, I'm wearing a gun. Life is simpler that way.
    That's how I do it. If I don't have it on my belt, then I'm constantly doing a mental search for where I put it down. Can I get to it quickly, etc.

It's easier to just put it on and forget about it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Naked, hairy and tattoos. I think "Cock and Awe" would be more appropriate.
    Just don't take any naps when we hit the range next time.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    ...a rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked.
    That's sig line material

Good discussion. I'm now wondering how I'm going to get my wife talked into putting the kitchen table next to the bed to use as a nightstand.
    --Josh H.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast