Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Pistol lower??

Feedback Score

Best Pistol lower??

Looking to build my first AR pistol. Was going to build on a Spike lower but. A buddy just built one on a Spikes and the lower was out of spec. So now it got me looking for a new lower. Who else makes a pistol lower and are they any good??

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Just curious as to what area it was out of spec.? I bought a spikes
    pistol lower for my build about a month ago,,,Pmags are a litttle snug
    in the magwell, but other than that its been very satisfactory.

Feedback Score
    Mag well problems with GI mags and other fit issues.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Noveske makes excellent spec "TDP" lowers.
    Last edited by VooDoo6Actual; 08-12-10 at 19:10.

Feedback Score
    Both my SBR's are on Spike's lowers, and I've built about a dozen other AR's on his lowers as well.
    I've never had anything on them "out of spec".
    I'm not saying it's not possible your buddy got one that was out, but since Spike doesn't mill them himself there are other brands using the same lower.
    To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it. - GK Chesterton

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Aside from the spikes spec part. To answer you question about "pistol" lowers--I don't think it matters anymore. You can use any lower you want. It doesn't have to be marked pistol or anything; there is no longer a difference between a pistol lower and a rifle lower. It's just a matter of how the 4473 gets filled out. If its never had a stock attached the ffl just checks the "other" box for stripped lowers, as opposed to the "pistol" or "rifle" box and you're g2g. Experts please step in and correct me if I'm wrong
    Last edited by Icculus; 08-13-10 at 15:50.

Feedback Score
    A virgin receiver is transferred by the dealer to the end user under the category of 'OTHER'. Although, by definition, a receiver is a firearm, a receiver is not a 'long gun' or a 'handgun' until enough parts are assembled on the receiver to make the firearm workable under the definition of what either a 'long gun' or a 'handgun' is.

In other words, a virgin receiver need not be marked with 'PISTOL' in order for the receiver to be used in the assembly of a handgun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get any virgin lower you want. "pistol" marked lowers are useless to me. I may want to SBR it one day.
    I like RRA lowers but any quality lower will work.
    I've read threads on tight mag wells also. Could be mags, could be the lower. I gaurantee, you will be told it's the mags. That would be enough for me not to take the chance.

I use P-mags and G.I. mags on my Bushy, RRA, and CMMG. No fit problems with any of those.
    Independent Field Testing/R & D

Better to die for something than live for nothing

Feedback Score
    Well I know here in California all the FFL's I have spoke to. Will not dro's a lower as a pistol unless it says PISTOL on it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JockItch View Post
    Well I know here in California all the FFL's I have spoke to. Will not dro's a lower as a pistol unless it says PISTOL on it.
    I do not know about others, but I do know that Spike's pistol lowers have them engraved.

I'm sure there are at least several others who do as well; I just happen to have a pistol built with a Spike's lower. I found the M-revision of the pmags fit tightly and do not drop free; the older generation pmags and the tango down arc mags fit and drop free perfectly. I haven't really found any other issues with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast